Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best music recording you've NEVER heard?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best music recording you've NEVER heard?

Well, I have no idea about the sound quality, since I've never heard it. But I've never heard the album "Marquee Moon" by Television. This seminal (so I'm told) album turns up on all sorts of "best of" and "most influential" lists but, for whatever set of reasons, it managed to slip past me at the time of its release and I've never yet had a reason to check it out.

I suppose I should someday but, then again, I've made it this long.....

I'm sure there's lots. First of all, I've never owned or streamed or otherwise paid much attention to Pink Floyd, so the big famous best-recorded album of theirs everyone mentions...which name escapes me at the moment...it has that rainbow thing on the cover...I've never sat and listened to, just heard snippets on the radio and...lose interest. I did give The Wall a try I recall many years ago...tried to strike the match but it would never light. I won't bother reciting my critical response...what's the use?

As a follow-up experience, since so many people rave about Gilmour's guitar playing, I streamed some of his newer stuff a while back and wow, I thought it was awful. I'm not joking.

That's just me ...sorry.

nat whilk ii
    Last edited by nat whilk II; 11-19-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Then don't stream his newer stuff. Stream the beautiful stuff he's known for.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
        Then don't stream his newer stuff. Stream the beautiful stuff he's known for.
        Can you give me some track or album name to check out? I try to keep an open mind and I'd much rather learn to like stuff than just be negative.....and I should qualify my earlier comments by mentioning the one Pink Floyd song I do like a lot - Comfortably Numb, which I assume is a Gilmour showcase, right?

nat whilk ii

Comment

Anything by our beloved Beck. Classic tunes... all analog and no auto tune.

We never heard it, we never will, and we love it.

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post

Can you give me some track or album name to check out? I try to keep an open mind and I'd much rather learn to like stuff than just be negative.....and I should qualify my earlier comments by mentioning the one Pink Floyd song I do like a lot - Comfortably Numb, which I assume is a Gilmour showcase, right?

nat whilk ii

That's certainly a good one. I think his skill is how his solos are almost like songs in themselves, developing beautifully.

For much of my life, I didn't "get" David Gilmour. And I don't know why, but it just sorta clicked one day, how elegant and beautiful his melodies are, and how beautiful his tone is. He's not my favorite guitarist, but I feel like I "get" what he's doing.
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

This is a sort of cop-out, but I'm having difficulties with my computer, so I'll just put a link of some good ones for now.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...k-floyd-songs/

I really like his guitar work in "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond" as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
                Anything by our beloved Beck. Classic tunes... all analog and no auto tune.

We never heard it, we never will, and we love it.
                Smartass.

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post

nat whilk ii

Yup - that's Gilmour. He played pretty much all the guitar solos on post Piper At The Gates of Dawn Pink Floyd records.

Here's a few of his solos I have always liked... Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 (solo starts at about 2:10)

Here - Have A Cigar - one of the best pokes in the eye the music industry ever got. (solo at ~3:15)

Time (solo at 3:12)

How can you not love a successful song that's in 7? Money (solo at 30)

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Solo on Money is in 4, though. According to Gilmour, he couldn't come up with a good solo in 7, so they changed the meter n that section. Turned out to be a brilliant move, of course.

Comment

Oh geez... I just thought of a better answer. Other than My Sweet Lord, of course, I've never heard George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". Made even more stunning by the fact that I bought a copy of it a couple of years back when they issued a 40th Anniversary edition (or whatever it was). It's still on my shelf unplayed.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                        AlamoJoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You should listen to it. There's some filler on it, like "Apple Jam"..But Beware of Darkness is a great song, What is Life, I could go on....But you should listen to it. It was a watershed event at the time. All these songs that John and Paul wouldn't help him develop as Beatles Tunes....Listen to it...

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli View Post

Smartass.

Not really. I only speak the truth.
                      Last edited by Ernest Buckley; 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                        Solo on Money is in 4, though. According to Gilmour, he couldn't come up with a good solo in 7, so they changed the meter n that section. Turned out to be a brilliant move, of course.
                        I'd never listened to it that closely, to be honest. But I find this fascinating because our guitarists decided that for the new song that's written in 7, they're doing the guitar solo/duet in 6. That works really well too, seems to have been a good choice on their part.

So to go off on a tangent, are there any good guitar solos you could point out in 7 in rock music, or is this a general thing?

Martyn Wheeler (playing synthesizers/organ like it's 1973 in England)

now: Fredfin Wallaby
                        was: The Gonzo Symphonic

Comment

Quite true of course, but having any part of the song in 7 and having be as popular as it is - that's pretty unusual.

How many other popular songs can you think of that are in 7? Western popular music is largely in 4, or 3; complex time signatures like 5/4, 7/8 and 11/8 are comparatively rare.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Oh geez... I just thought of a better answer. Other than My Sweet Lord, of course, I've never heard George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". Made even more stunning by the fact that I bought a copy of it a couple of years back when they issued a 40th Anniversary edition (or whatever it was). It's still on my shelf unplayed.
                            You've probably heard at least a couple of other tracks off that album... What Is Life was a pretty big hit, and If Not For You and Isn't It A Pity also got a fair amount of airplay on FM back in the day.

It's a great record - certainly one of the best post-Beatles solo albums by any of the Fabs - but it's long. Either digest it in bits, or set aside some time, because you're going to be there a while if you try to listen to it all in one sitting.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                            X