Multitimbral USB Audio from Hardware Synth

jorhay1

• Members

Does a hardware synth in a workstation format exist, that has the ability to route all the audio tracks of a multi timbal performance to separate tracks of a Computer based DAW, via a single USB cable?

All I can find is Stereo only.

It seems it would be simple since there are many 8Ch USB audio interfaces.

Sorry if this has been covered.

• CMS Author
Does a hardware synth in a workstation format exist, that has the ability to route all the audio tracks of a multi timbal performance to separate tracks of a Computer based DAW, via a single USB cable?

It seems it would be simple since there are many 8Ch USB audio interfaces.

I think that most keyboard instruments these days are either designed to be stand-alone workstations that may let you record your work, or they're just controllers for software running on the computer.

The last time I saw something like what you're dreaming of was before USB audio really caught on, and the multi-channel output was in ADAT optical format. There were a number of ADAT optical interface cards for PCs at that time (and there are some now that connect to the computer via USB, but I don't know the current state of the art in keybord synths. My gut feeling is that if you find one with multiple audio outputs, they'll be ADAT or maybe a new one with Thunderbolt, but not likely multi-channel USB.

• Members

The Yamaha MOXF(6 or 8) can send 4 channels of audio to a computer via USB. Stereo from the internal tone generator and stereo (L,R) from the A/D inputs. It also has extensive DAW remote control from the front panel. The MOXF can also function as an audio/MIDI interface for iOS device when used with the Apple camera connection kit.

Archived