Congrats to Fellow HC Member Ken Lee!

• Members

Thank you so much!!! I am flattered by everyone's kind words!

Thanks to EB for posting this!

I have a special affinity for the LA Times Travel section. As a kid, I used to look through the Sunday LA Times Travel section every week. I tried hard never to miss an issue. And that was difficult sometimes because my family did not receive the LA Times, so I used to look at my neighbor's copy. I'd look at all the mind-blowing, beautiful, fascinating photos of faraway lands and think, "Some day I am going to go to these places, and I will see these beautiful places with my own eyes."

I am so lucky to have been to some of these places.

So you can only imagine my excitement last year when my girlfriend ran in to the house, waving a section of the LA Times Travel section with my photo on the cover! I had won the LA Times Travel Editor's Choice for Summer Photos in 2013! Although I had won accolades from Smithsonian and National Geographic's and won a contest from Lonely Planet Guidebook, this LA Times appearance was extra special because of how how many years as a kid I dreamed of going to those places. And now, I had not only gone to those places and had a photo appear on the cover!!!

So this latest appearance, like winning the Editor's Choice above, is truly beyond my wildest dreams.

And yes...as an adult, I have had a subscription to the LA Times for years. I no longer have to borrow my neighbor's copy. :D :D

• Members
As most of you know, Ken is an extraordinary photographer and rather humble… and good looking to boot…. Congrats matey!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-photographer-profile-ken-lee-20141021-story.html

You know, you're kinda easy on the eyes yourself. :D

Thanks for posting this, EB, and thanks for the very kind words!!!!!!

• Members
Heartiest Congrats Ken! What took 'em so long to realize how good you are?

My point exactly! It's not like Ken woke up yesterday, went to Best Buy, and picked up a camera. Now, if there were a lot of photographers at his level floating around, okay...then I can see where one could get lost in the signal-to-noise ratio. But he's been doing consistently high-quality work for a long time, so it's good to see he's getting some recognition.

BUT...

I have a feeling Ken has one or two more quantum levels to go as he gets further into this...techniques that haven't been done before. I don't feel he's hit his personal peak yet by any means. Just wait - in 20 years I will be proven right, even if I'm not around to be annoying and say "I told you so" :D2

• Members

Thank you for your kind words.

I hope you're right.

I hope you're around 20 years from now to be "annoying". :D

I only began doing these night sky photos, and I think hitting my stride, in the past 2-3 years. So I hope that I will always keep ramping up, up, up, getting better with my skill level. I still have a lot to learn, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Archived