Beware of Mr. Baker documentary

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Mr. Baker documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LrLUyIW3c

It's the full documentary, not just a trailer.

Well worth seeing...interested to see what y'all think of it. I always thought Ginger Baker was exceptionally innovative in his approach to drumming. Although this film has the rep of tearing Baker apart, I don't see it that way at all. Baker is one tough cookie...and a very interesting person. I'm sure he's difficult to deal with, but most people on his level are.
    Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
    I always thought Ginger Baker was exceptionally innovative in his approach to drumming.
    I haven't watched the entire documentary yet - I started watching it on Netflix.

I was a big Cream fan in the day but I thought he overplayed a lot in comparison to some of the pocket drummers such as Ian Paice. When Cream did the reunion thing about ten years ago I developed a whole new appreciation and respect for his unique style
    As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
      AJ6stringsting commented
      Editing a comment
      Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, were the Founding Fathers of Virtuoso Musicianship in Hard Rock / Heavy Metal, before Black Sabbath tied all the lose ends together.
      I.M.H.O. , Ginger Baker, Keith Moon and Mitch Mitchell, were the kings of Drums in the 1960's !!!!

• saifulxbd
      saifulxbd commented
      Editing a comment
      this Videos is very nice . i will come back again later.
      thereport24.com is bilingual portal to provide latest Bangladesh news and events to the global village.
      thereport24
      bdreport24
      banglanews
      Last edited by saifulxbd; 11-03-2014, 02:41 AM.

Looks like someone pulled the plug on that film on youtube. I found this bizarre interview of Ginger Baker with Chad Smith.
    Ginger looks to me like he's cheating the grave.

http://youtu.be/nKBLiw8sANE
    https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

I saw this a while ago and thought it was good, not feeling that it was a hatchet job. If you want to make Ginger Baker look insane or bad, you really don't have to try very hard.

Some of you know that I recorded his son, Kofi Baker, here at my studio a while back, and while he hardly talked smack about his father, you could also tell that the guy was a real character and didn't really get a long with a lot of people.

Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by davd_indigo View Post
        Looks like someone pulled the plug on that film on youtube. I found this bizarre interview of Ginger Baker with Chad Smith.
        Ginger looks to me like he's cheating the grave.

http://youtu.be/nKBLiw8sANE
        It's still there, try the link again.
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

No disrespect intended but after 10 minutes I couldn't stand him...just because this guy can bang some sticks on a can doesn't make him worthy of being canonized... The music is good but he is not someone I would ever want to hang with.

Comment

I wouldn't either, but he's interesting, so I kept watching it.
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Just out of curiosity, did Kofi Baker's playing sound like he was influenced by his dad?

BTW, I love the wrap on his kit - looks cool!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Just remember that all documentaries are interpretations. It's the difference between:

Have you seen the documentary on Ginger Baker? What an a-hole!
                and
                Have you seen the documentary on some guy's take on Ginger Baker? I wonder if Baker is really such an a-hole. Maybe the documentarian dude is the a-hole, I'm sure I'm not qualified to pronounce either way knowing almost nothing about all this except what this one film says.

This general principle actually applies to everything else in life, but we'll start with something small.

nat whilk ii

Comment

Just watched it in two sittings

It was fascinating

He's not an ****************************. Just a very talented guy with issues
                  new album - smoke
                  forum - the asylum

Comment

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
                    I wouldn't either, but he's interesting, so I kept watching it.
                    Wow, your art is awesome...great work!

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post
                      Just remember that all documentaries are interpretations. It's the difference between:

and
                      Have you seen the documentary on some guy's take on Ginger Baker? I wonder if Baker is really such an a-hole. Maybe the documentarian dude is the a-hole, I'm sure I'm not qualified to pronounce either way knowing almost nothing about all this except what this one film says.

If there's other stuff out there that presents him in a different light, I'll be happy to take a look at it and try to reach a balanced conclusion. But pretty much everything I've ever heard or seen about the guy to this point indicates he's a total a--hole.

Not that's there anything wrong with that, really. If he's comfortable in his own skin, then more power to him, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, did Kofi Baker's playing sound like he was influenced by his dad?

BTW, I love the wrap on his kit - looks cool!
                        I don't think so. It's more fusion-based, so I would never make the connection. That said, I understand that he plays in some sort of a Cream cover band, so presumably, he has a darned good understanding of his father's approach to the drums.

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post

and

This general principle actually applies to everything else in life, but we'll start with something small.

nat whilk ii

The documentary is an interpretation. It often will take a point of view, although some attempt to be neutral.

And as viewers, we are interpreting what has been interpreted. I can think that it wasn't a hatchet job while someone else will think, "Wow, those filmmakers really made him look bad...they gave him a royal pasting."

So I don't judge the guy really harshly regardless, but I've read a few articles, seen the documentary, and talked to Kofi a bit about his father.

I also want to say that many people, seemingly especially artists, are complex, and can come off as sweethearts, ****************************s, generous, stingy, and much more, all wrapped up in one little meat puppet.

Comment

Originally posted by tbry View Post

Wow, your art is awesome...great work!

Oh wow, thank you, that's very kind of you!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X