AES Convention - Los Angeles Oct 9-12

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

Anyone going? I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned it here. Midnight tonight October 6 is the last day to pre-register for a free Exhibits-Plus badge. This gets you into the toy show plus several tutorial programs including the two day Project Studio Expo.

Step right up, folks. Go HERE for info and registration.

• CMS Author
And the free passes were only for the preregistration? And that is closed?

I thought moderators paid attention to what was posted here. ;)

Pre-registration is closed since it's no longer pre-show. It was extended twice, through October 6. You can still get an Exhibits pass at the show but you'll have to pay for it. It's $65 if you're not an AES member, so I assume we won't be seeing you there.

Ken made it.

• Members

This is the hit of the show for me so far:

Slate Media Technology Batch Commander lets you use single clicks to execute up to 1000 key commands, menu selections and mouse clicks. Features include converting all your MIDI tracks to audio tracks or audio to MIDI using one button, batch consolidating, exporting, and naming your tracks, applying your favorite chain of plugins to multiple tracks with one button, and much more.

Batch Commander is currently only compatible with Pro Tools, but future compatibility is planned with Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Cubase, Nuendo and more. Available now for $99.00 US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukHpGyd_1E

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I didn't see much. I attended the panels mostly. I saw Mike Rivers there, as he mentioned.

The little Moog synth that is about $300 and the size of a large sandwich sounded great and was a lot of fun, and will have some add-ons/plans/hacks/whatever you like to call 'em that will be posted on their website. One of them will include MIDI.

I was only there for one day, had severe chest congestion and a sore throat from allergies, and hung out at the project studio panels for most of the day.

• CMS Author
Did you see these at AES?

Yes, the Gibson Les Paul Professional speakers. Did you have a hand in this?

Of course I asked if they came in black, and of course I got the line about how Gibson really knows how to do a suburst right, and that it's really hard, and they thought it was important to set these speakers off from the norm.

I understand about manufacturing though - it's not as simple as just putting black paint in the spray gun. There's a lot different in the production process, and pages and pages of documentation so they'll know how to do it the same the next time.

• Members

Did you have a hand in this?

I was involved in the evaluation process. I'm quite sure they were Henry's idea, he comes up with a lot of them.

I've lived with the speakers for several weeks, and they are fantastic for mastering. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like instead of pushing out sound, they radiate it. The thing that surprised me the most was the mids. It sounds like each instrument has its own "stream." I think that may be due to the transient response; it seems quite responsive, which would make differentiating instruments easier.

For mixing, I love that you don't have to turn them up to have them "open up." I like to mix at relatively restrained levels, and these are equally responsive at high and low levels.

On the downside some people won't like the speaker because it's not designed for "listening," it really is a studio monitor that excels at analysis. Also, the 8" doesn't really work with the 3 ft equilateral triangle placement; you want to have them 4 ft away from your ears to get the right blend of the driver and tweeter. I didn't try out the models with smaller speakers.

On the major upside, I took these apart and put them back together several times, and they're kind of beat up. So KRK doesn't want them back, and I have to keep them. I'm sure you're all feeling sorry for me :)

• Members

I was involved in the evaluation process. I'm quite sure they were Henry's idea, he comes up with a lot of them.

I've lived with the speakers for several weeks, and they are fantastic for mastering. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like instead of pushing out sound, they radiate it. The thing that surprised me the most was the mids. It sounds like each instrument has its own "stream." I think that may be due to the transient response; it seems quite responsive, which would make differentiating instruments easier.

For mixing, I love that you don't have to turn them up to have them "open up." I like to mix at relatively restrained levels, and these are equally responsive at high and low levels.

On the downside some people won't like the speaker because it's not designed for "listening," it really is a studio monitor that excels at analysis. Also, the 8" doesn't really work with the 3 ft equilateral triangle placement; you want to have them 4 ft away from your ears to get the right blend of the driver and tweeter. I didn't try out the models with smaller speakers.

On the major upside, I took these apart and put them back together several times, and they're kind of beat up. So KRK doesn't want them back, and I have to keep them. I'm sure you're all feeling sorry for me :)

Ha! It must be great being you :D

• CMS Author

I

On the downside some people won't like the speaker because it's not designed for "listening," it really is a studio monitor that excels at analysis.

You should tell that to the guy who was showing them to me. One of his responses to my comment about the color scheme was that the speakers were intended both for studio use and for listening for enjoyment, so a guitar player might enjoy the paint job in his living or music room.

Archived