New Song

Mark L

• Members

This song is about a guy who is terminally ill. He's accepted his fate and wonders what awaits him 'in paradise'. But then he looks at his young children and realises what he'll be losing. In desperation he cries out to his God to let him live

Words and music by Adrian Snell and Mark L. Arranged, performed and produced by Mark L. Hope you like it :)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12931806

Lyrics:

In paradise the pain will be over

The struggle to live in this hell taken away from me

In paradise will there be angels?

Will they take me to places I'd only ever imagined?

May the Lord be there with me

To comfort and forgive me

And lead me into life again

May the God of the living

Be righteous yet forgiving

And live in me forever and ever

Oh no my God I want to live!

Not watch my body waste away

I need to see my children grow

I want to live! I cannot die!

(In paradise we will care for you)

• Members

Not sure what the deal is Mark but the sound quality was abysmal. Could not hear anything but the synth arpeggios, no lyrics at all. Tried in HiFi and LoFi..same result. Mebbe post it on Soundcloud instead?? Always want to hear your work bro.

• Members
Not sure what the deal is Mark but the sound quality was abysmal. Could not hear anything but the synth arpeggios, no lyrics at all. Tried in HiFi and LoFi..same result. Mebbe post it on Soundcloud instead?? Always want to hear your work bro.

That's interesting

I'm assuming you're listening to it through speakers. I mix all my songs using headphones, and I only listen to music with headphones on. So I've no idea what sort of sound you're getting

Try it using headphones, mate. It sounds pretty clear to me ;)

Edit: I put it on my Soundcloud page last night. Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101/in-paradise

• Members

I would have mixed the voice up a bit higher...too bad you don't realize how good your voice is. Your songwriting is always good too, although the arrangement does have a bit of a mechanical vibe. Doesn't matter for a demo, but would if you planned to "release" this.

It's interesting to see you moving into other genres, this one strikes me almost like a theme for a film. I think you have the chops, the voice, and the delivdery to do really good ballads, but it may not always be self-evident (e.g., "Only Ever After You"). Carry on!!

P.S. Listened over speakers, it sounded okay. Don't know why Alamo Joe had problems.

• Members

Thank goodness you sorted out your sound card, Joe. I was beginning to think we were listening to different songs! :D

And thanks for the compliment :)

Craig, the vocals to my ears are well up in the mix. Maybe you need to change your soundcard :D :D

• Members

The vocals are the most important element in that song, everything else supports it. But mixing on headphones is a bit of a wild card. If you mix at a relatively low volume (with headphones, it's important to err on the side of not blowing your ears out!!) the mids will be more prominent and the voice will seem to "pop" more. At higher volumes, the fletcher-munson curve takes over, and you'll hear more highs and lows, making the mids seem to drop.

I mix my vocals so they sound too loud at low volumes and not loud enough at high volumes, in the hopes that people will listen at moderate volumes. But I also think an extra dB on vocals never hurts. It brings up some of the vocal characteristics and human qualities that help connect with the song.

Frankly Mark, if you did all your music a capella it wouldn't lose that much. Your songs mostly tell stories...hell, even print works for that!!

• Members

The vocals are the most important element in that song, everything else supports it. But mixing on headphones is a bit of a wild card. If you mix at a relatively low volume (with headphones, it's important to err on the side of not blowing your ears out!!) the mids will be more prominent and the voice will seem to "pop" more. At higher volumes, the fletcher-munson curve takes over, and you'll hear more highs and lows, making the mids seem to drop.

I mix my vocals so they sound too loud at low volumes and not loud enough at high volumes, in the hopes that people will listen at moderate volumes. But I also think an extra dB on vocals never hurts. It brings up some of the vocal characteristics and human qualities that help connect with the song.

Frankly Mark, if you did all your music a capella it wouldn't lose that much. Your songs mostly tell stories...hell, even print works for that!!

Ah yes, the Fletcher-Munson curve. I didn't think of that

*Secretly Googles 'Fletcher-Munson curve'* :0

Edit: By the way, here's a link to the website of the excellent Adrian Snell: http://www.adrian-snell.com/

Archived