Win 10 dumps touch screen approach

WRGKMC

• Members

Seeing that 8 & 8.1 was such a flop with only 13% of users migrating to it, Microsoft decides to do what they should have done in the first place.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-1...835840904.html

Win 10 is back to a start button which allows PC users using to navigate it with a mouse and keyboard and tiles are completely gone. Hurrah!!!

Who would be so stupid to stick a hand held OS on a PC in the first place besides the hand held crowd who think they rule the day? PC's and laptops still; rule big business where the big business sales come from. Most hand held devices include the OS when you buy them.

Business buy new OS software to upgrade their entire hardware structure and pay a pretty penny for all those licenses. They aren't going to spend money on systems that aren't efficient for people to operate sitting at a desk in an office. Touch screens are fine if you can touch them all day, bit its not going to happen with people viewing several monitors with their hands extended in front of them touching the screens. They know this would be too labor intensive. Smaller devices have screens to small to view large spread sheets commonly used in financial stats and even laptops aren't sufficient for many office situations including their higher cost to purchase and maintain.

Fact is Most employers have business structures that require employees to work in an office. They can keep tabs on the employees actually working at their desks keeping up with all the routine work needed taking care of that business which involves making money. Working remotely from hand held devices works for a small portion of employees that are required to spend allot of time outside the office but those computing sources are much less secure and those employees have to be highly trusted not to take advantage of the lack of oversight.

Many even on this site have said hand held devices would rule the business world within 10 years, and even with cloud servers and high powered devices this still hasn't happened and is unlikely to be more then a certain percentage of an employers work force. This is because a physical business location provides a center of distribution of products and services and workers are most efficient when they supervised.

This may change over time but a major shift in how most businesses operate most efficiently will have to come first. Business buy hardware and software based on their structure and what makes them money and software writers haven't yet taken over the right to dictate how those businesses should run their businesses. MS may have made allot of money providing products but their success has changed them from being product and service providers to something much more arrogant and dangerous.

At least their stock holders force their bean counters look at their sales realize where they make the big mistakes and attempt to correct them. There's more then hand held device manufacturers making computer gear and when companies stop upgrading, there's a reason. Its because their IT people cant see it being more efficient nor financially worthwhile.

• Members

Since I like 8.1, I'm not happy a new OS is coming. But I don't think the touch-screen is vanishing from Windows any time soon. From what I've read though, it still hasn't caught up with Android or Apple when it comes to re-sizing tiles. And basically, it hasn't improved the touch-screen experience.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...1267364/review

• Members

I will never understand you Windows 8 haters. You NEVER had to use a touch screen. I don't even have a touch screen on my desktop. Since Windows 8.1, you can boot directly to the desktop, and avoid the difficult task of clicking on the desktop tile to get there. I've always launched my frequently used apps from icons that I placed on the desktop and in folders on the desktop, but all the others are quickly available, and easy to find in alphabetic sequence on the Apps Screen, or by starting to type it's name in the search box.

• CMS Author
I will never understand you Windows 8 haters. You NEVER had to use a touch screen. I don't even have a touch screen on my desktop. Since Windows 8.1' date=' you can boot directly to the desktop, and avoid the difficult task of clicking on the desktop tile to get there. [/quote']

Just yesterday, I was at Micro Center playing with a $139 tablet with Windows 8.1, thinking about picking one up. I remember your description of how to get straight to the desktop and tried it, but I couldnt find what I was looking for. Maybe this is a special tablet version that doesn't let you do that, but from what I saw (and I don't have any Win8 systems here) I completey understand why people who have grown up through the ranks dislike Win8.

I asked if it would run Win10 and they didn't know but "I assume so." I was a bit intrigued by this one because it has a real USB port (my Android tablet doesn't) and it might just work with class compliant audio I/O devices. It could be a little handier for remote recording when I need more than the two channels that my pocket recorders give me.

There are a few folks running the live CD version of Ubuntu on it (from an SD card) but there aren't drivers for some of the hardware yet, like the USB port and WiFi network adapter, so it's still a Linux lump at this point, but something to talk about.

• Members

Just yesterday, I was at Micro Center playing with a $139 tablet with Windows 8.1, thinking about picking one up. I remember your description of how to get straight to the desktop and tried it, but I couldnt find what I was looking for.

When on the Desktop, right click on the Taskbar, Select Properties, open the Navigation Tab. Under "Start screen", check "Show my desktop background on Start". That makes it boot to the Desktop. There is also a check box for "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start". That will bring up the desktop if you are using any of the tile apps, and close them all.

That option is also on my Windows 8.1 Dell tablet, but I didn't set it since I'm likely to start off using the Start screen on the tablet, whereas, I rarely use the Start screen on my desktop p/c.

• Members
I will never understand you Windows 8 haters. You NEVER had to use a touch screen. I don't even have a touch screen on my desktop. Since Windows 8.1' date=' you can boot directly to the desktop, and avoid the difficult task of clicking on the desktop tile to get there[/quote']

It's "bumperstickerism" that people just love to perpetuate. People get stuck on one description and they can't get past that.

Windows 8 = no start button.

India = tech support

Ethiopia = famine (even over 30 years after their famine)

Kobe Bryant = best closer

Alex Smith = game manager

Terrorist = Muslim

Muslim = terrorist

Moronic journalists, blog idiots, and Facebook stuff that keeps getting shared just keep perpetuating the same phrases over and over.

The high school I worked for used Windows 8. Even scores of teachers who are not tech-savvy use Windows 8 freely. But apparently tech bloggers still can't wrap their heads around this.

• Members
How do you "right click" on a touch screen? All I've been able to do on my Samsung tablet' date=' and on this Winbook tablet I was playing with at the store, was tap the screen, which is, in essence, a "left click."[/quote']

On my Dell Venue Pro, you right click by touching and holding. In a second or two, the right screen menu pops up.

On a similar note, there is a really handy bit of free software for Windows 8/8.1 tablets called TouchMousePointer, that you can turn on and off from the systray. When you turn it on, it turns the entire screen (desktop) into a touch pad that gives you a mouse pointer that you can move around on the screen. It's really handy when you have to get into tight spaces to click on something. It's very configurable.

http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/

• CMS Author

On my Dell Venue Pro, you right click by touching and holding. In a second or two, the right screen menu pops up.

Hmmm . . . I'll have to think of something on my Android that has a right-click menu in its Windows equivalent. Firefox? Nope, tap-and-hold doesn't do anything. That doesn't mean it won't pop up a menu for something, just (so far) not in Firefox.

• Members
How do you "right click" on a touch screen? All I've been able to do on my Samsung tablet' date=' and on this Winbook tablet I was playing with at the store, was tap the screen, which is, in essence, a "left click."[/quote']

Touch the icon and keep your finger on it (maybe w/a little more pressure).

The old right-click menu will show up.

• Members

I think this is two mistakes in a row. They botched the rollout of Win8/Metro by trying to make it be what doesn't quite make sense: a pad UI for a laptop/desktop scenario. I remember reading an excellent review that pointed to all the horrors of trying to use Metro with a mouse. Of course, by most accounts, Win8 works fine using the classic desktop. What MS had failed to do was integrate the two experiences in any sensible way.

However, these days we're seeing more and more hybrids, where it can be like a laptop or desktop at your desk, with external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., but the screen pops off and works as a pad. I wouldn't be surprised to see that as a big future. Pads are better for carrying to meetings; using on-screen keyboards and touchpad as needed, but with full desktop capability (and connectivity) when docked. I'd like to see MS work towards a more integrated approach to that type of hardware, but it seems that instead they're tucking their tails between their legs and giving up. Ah well.

Maybe we'll have to wait for Android to grow into that. I don't put much hope in Apple. I just finished upgrading my wife's iPad and once again I am saddened by the experience. In its (admittedly wise) attempt to do everything for you and expose nothing, Apple made it impossible to actually back up stuff that needed being backed up, and it was lost. Amid myriad other problems (such as, every time I restored, the iPad went back to initial setup mode, asking whether I wanted to restore or set up as new!) Apple serves an important market segment very well; I'm just not in that segment. [sorry, rant over!]

Archived