It Just Goes To Show...

Mark L

• Members

About 10 years ago I bought a Zoom MRS-16 multitrack and immediately fell in love with it. I found it incredibly easy to use, unlike the Roland 8-track I'd been using

Over time I began to think that I needed a 24-track, so I bought one. It was a Zoom, as it happens. I didn't really get on with it and hardly recorded anything with it. Meanwhile I'd sold the 16-track to a friend. About a year down the line I bought it back off him and inspiration returned

A year and a bit ago I tried going down the making-music-with-a-computer route. Recorded one song but didn't like the process. It felt like hard work

A few months ago I bought a Tascam 24-track. Recorded one song with it, but didn't really get on with it. Sold it yesterday

And guess what? I've dusted off my Zoom 16-track and I've had an idea for a song. The 16-track looks a bit beaten up and the display is on the blink, but I still love it. All that expense, and all the time I had the Zoom just waiting, knowing in my subconscious that I'd come back to it eventually

When it dies, as all things do, I'll be genuinely upset. It's become almost like a friend to me

It just goes to show...

• Members

I know what you mean Mark...When I dusted off my old Tascam 234 and it was locked up, it broke my heart. All those masters I recorded on it are now unrecoverable...And I get along with Cakewalk like dogs and cats...We love the familar...We tire of things, then wish we had them back.

• CMS Author

I crank up the computer and use a DAW program when I have to, but for general multitrack recording, I go for my Mackie HDR24/96. It always has 24 inputs, I can do punch-ins without thinking about which button to press when, the editor is great, and I don't have to worry about updates to something else affecting it.

It'll be a sad day in Falls Gulch when something irreplaceable in the HDR dies.

• Members

Mark,

My only suggestion is to get yourself used to the DAW while you enjoy your creature comforts. Its only when we strain ourselves a bit that we grow...

You may not enjoy it at first but you should force yourself to learn it to the point of mastery. Create a template that you know well. Have everything that you need right there. In the meantime, continue to create your tunes with your 16 track recorder.

EB

• Members

@ Joe and Mike: I know exactly where you're coming from, guys

@Ernest: Even thinking about my DAW makes me itch. I'm much happier with my 16-track. Funny thing is, I have the bells-and-whistles version of Studio One (got it for free - apparently it's one of the perks of being a PreSonus 'featured artist' (whatever that means)), but I just can't face it. Too daunting

I spent last night and tonight recording drums and various keyboard parts for a new song. This song is quite uncommercial - it's something I'm doing to please myself. Might not even put it online. It's not something I think anyone but me would want to hear

• Members
IMHO the best way to start out with a DAW is to learn just enough to use it like a tape machine. Then start recording music and keep at it. Along the way you learn the other little things that you need. The best way to begin a journey is to open the door.

I don't know why everyone keeps banging on about using DAWs, as if they're the only choice when it comes to recording music

I'm more than happy with my 16-track. It does everything I want it to do. It has real faders and real knobs. I like that. If and when it finally gives up the ghost, I'll be forced to use Studio One on my laptop

I did actually record a song about a year ago using Studio One, but I've absolutely no idea how I did it :D

Archived