Lenny Breau

onelife

• Members

Lenny's name came up in post about "near genius" in another thread.

I saw him play when I was starting out and when Randy Bachman, who was Lenny's student, started putting jazzy bits into rock songs it had a profound influence on the direction I took as a guitar player.

[video=youtube;7Dp809Zi9lE]

Lenny's playing was kind of like Chet with an extra dose of Django added to the mix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It shouldn't have happened. What a loss. He was the greatest of his generation IMO.He was a master of both acoustic and electric. He played each one differently but played both with virtuosity. There were a lot of great guitarists around back then. But I don't know of any who had mastered both acoustic lead guitar and electric lead guitar to the extent Clarence White had mastered them. He was a virtuoso mandolin player too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Lenny's name came up in post about "near genius" in another thread.

I saw him play when I was starting out and when Randy Bachman, who was Lenny's student, started putting jazzy bits into rock songs it had a profound influence on the direction I took as a guitar player.

[video=youtube;7Dp809Zi9lE]

Lenny's playing was kind of like Chet with an extra dose of Django added to the mix.

Funny, he may have not influenced me directly, but he influenced me thru others !!!!

• Members
Funny' date=' he may have not influenced me directly, but he influenced me thru others !!!![/quote']

Me too, although I did get to see him play live.

I remember being impressed with Chet Atkins playing two songs at once on the guitar. Lenny took it up a notch and could play three,

Sometimes he would play bass with his thumb, chords with three fingers and melody with a really long fingernail on his pinky. Not only were there three different parts but each part had a different texture to the sound so it sounded like three different instruments.

Archived