Commentc? No Comment

• CMS Author

I read Craig's articles in the Harmony Central "Articles" section when he writes about something that I care about. There's a "Comments" block below the articles and twice I've added some further information as a comment. One was to a recent article about digital audio, another was to an article several weeks ago that had to do with input impedance. I understand that it might take some time to get around to it, but so far neither have appeared or have been acknowledged.

Either nobody on the editorial staff is paying attention or they're not polite enough to get back to me with a "Nobody wants to read all of that blather. Just tell us that you loved the article."

• Members

In this version of VB, Comments are one-off reply-type posts 'stuck' to a particular Reply. (The initial post is the Topic.)

If you see my Comment above stuck into the bottom of guido's post, well, that's a comment. If you don't, it sounds likely that this is yet another casualty of the phone/tablet/desktop browser standards breakdown 'imposed' when Apple decided to 'defy' the HTML standards committees (not that I like Apple but the standards committees have often struck me as a broken system dominated by major players -- and long undercut by MS's longtime refusal to play by the standards; almost as soon as MS finally relented and adopted uniform browser standards, Apple, faced with trying to figure out how HTML could look 'cooler' on their new iPad, decided to just throw a bunch of their own proprietary standards into their design/development paradigm. A number of Apple-centric front end designers went along, despite groans from many/most in the web community and the brief moment when all the browsers behaved somewhat uniformly was gone. =poof=

Anyhow, we're livin' after the fall. If you don't see the Comment above, that's probably the reason. But few use them because they don't behave as people expect. I've used them a little, particularly when I wanted to make a specific comment about something off-topic in a specific post. Otherwise, I use the regular quote system.

And if you do see the comment above now, but didn't before, don't feel bad. People are confronted by so much unnecessary detail in the form of adverts and other intended distractions that they have to develop a way of subconsciously masking off most of the screen that they aren't interested in.

• CMS Author
In this version of VB, Comments are one-off reply-type posts 'stuck' to a particular Reply. (The initial post is the Topic.)

If you see my Comment above stuck into the bottom of guido's post, well, that's a comment. If you don't, it sounds likely that this is yet another casualty of the phone/tablet/desktop browser standards breakdown 'imposed' when Apple decided to 'defy' the HTML standards committees

Well, I did see your comment after Guido's post, and after yours, too. In practice, that doesn't seem to be any different than a reply.

At the bottom of this article (for example) there's a block that says "NO COMMENTS" followed by another block that says "Join the discussion" followed by "Post Comment." Maybe the "NO COMMENTS" actually means "No comments will be accepted but you can write as much as you want and it'll probably get stored somewhere here."

Too bad I trusted the system and didn't save what I wrote.

• Members

Actually I have no idea how comments work here, and unless the system notifies me somehow, there's no way I'm going to be able to check the 300+ articles of mine to see if any comments were made. Sounds like this needs to be escalated to Dendy or Phil, who are more connected with HC's mechanics.

• Members
Actually I have no idea how comments work here, and unless the system notifies me somehow, there's no way I'm going to be able to check the 300+ articles of mine to see if any comments were made. Sounds like this needs to be escalated to Dendy or Phil, who are more connected with HC's mechanics.

I've made a few comments on Craig's and others articles, but they seem to disappear...Ain't no thing really, my comments are usually just "Really liked the article, learned this and that", and I don't expect shoutbacks on them either..

• Members

Well, I did see your comment after Guido's post, and after yours, too. In practice, that doesn't seem to be any different than a reply.

At the bottom of this article (for example) there's a block that says "NO COMMENTS" followed by another block that says "Join the discussion" followed by "Post Comment." Maybe the "NO COMMENTS" actually means "No comments will be accepted but you can write as much as you want and it'll probably get stored somewhere here."

Too bad I trusted the system and didn't save what I wrote.

I guess I wasn't awake when I posted (well, I know I wasn't, in retrospect). I missed that you were talking about articles. Doh!

Like others, I'm not sure how the comments on articles work but I'll bet Phil gets the scoop.

Archived