How Many Here Want to See "Get On Up"?

Anderton

• Members

Saw the preview a while back, and it looks like it will be pretty cool. Early reports are that the actor who plays James Brown is outstanding.

Part of me wants to go ASAP, but the way movies are these days, I might wait until I get the go-ahead from people who are actual musicians...

How many here plan to check it out?

• Members

Probably not. Though a kind of interesting guy. Maybe a little mixed up. Those law and order, conservative types -- he was a NIXON backer and thought Reagan -- REAGAN -- was the smartest president ever! biggrin.gif-- but who nonetheless use drugs and try to run down cops -- are usually quite a handful.*

I'm not much into bio-pics. I think one of the few I've seen was the Doors thing, which I didn't hate, but didn't love. (Still, I thought it was overall reasonably good. I had complex feelings about Morrison, as an early fan who lost patience, so the movie's tone wasn't a problem for me, as it apparently was for a number of others who have become vocal about the movie in the years since it came out.)

I also saw Amadeus and a few of the Ken Russell composer 'bios.'

You know the music biz bio I'd really like to see made?

The Jimmy Donley Story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126422467

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/JimmyDonley.html

http://crazycajunmusic.com/bio-jimmy-donley [warning: auto-play background music]

* PS... may not sound like it above, but I'm a pretty big JB fan, when his career is considered, overall. A fine R&B singer when he was young, and one of the prime movers of modern funk... When I was in the hospital, in traction, for most of two months in 1980, someone brought in a tape of JB at Budokan. Smokin' band, smokin' performances. Get on up, indeed. They really lifted my spirits. So, mixed up guy, for sure, but I'll always be grateful for some fine R&B and some amazingly sharp funk!

• Members

"Walk The LIne" was alright. "Buena Vista Social Club" was fascinating, but that's not a bio-pic, it's a music documentary. I dunno, the phrase "bio pic" usually sets off my red lights, but who knows, this could be good. There's a Hendrix one that's either out or going to be out, I think, but that one just....I don't know, it didn't quite appeal to me, and I'm not sure why.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll wait for it to hit Redbox probably...But anybody who doesn't think "Poppa's got a brand new bag" ain't the absolute baddest..Ain't got the slightest bit of funk in their body and should be banished!!

It's the one baby! Hit it on the one! Good Gawd!

• Members

Well, I saw it. A few comments...

Chadwick Boseman really is amazing. He sets a standard the rest of the movie couldn't possibly match...genius casting.

Like Purple Rain, there's electrifying concert footage but someone felt it was necessary to put a movie in between them.

It follows the actual biography really closely. It's very much intended to be accurate. As such, overall it's ultimately a combination of "wow, he sure made it under impossible circumstances" coupled with "this is pretty depressing."

The attempts to be "arty" with intercuts from different periods of his life come across as the antithesis of funk.

For those born after the 60s, it gives a pretty good idea of the racial climate of the times without being judgemental.

It's worth it just to see Boseman and the re-created concert footage. But if you wait for the DVD, you can fast forward to the good bits, and see the rest later if you're feeling too happy and need to be depressed a little bit. But it is a powerful and well-done movie.

• Members
Well' date=' cool. It did get my red flags up a little bit, but I also have kept hearing that Boseman was super super great.[/quote']

His portrayal is really quite astonishing. Probably the best job I've seen of getting across the aura of an actual person.

• Members

Chadwick Boseman BECAME James Brown. Excellent performance by Boseman. It's a great movie. I think you have to be at least baby boomer age to really appreciate the some of the movie's aspects. The movie jumps around somewhat, but it all works. The movie tries to show what a difficult person he was, how quickly and completely he could change. Like near the end of the movie, he fires his very long time friend all because the guys wonders aloud what it would be like if he could sell out a theater like the one they just performed in.

It's a bio pic, if you want authentic James Brown performances, watch youtube. If you want Brown's story, this is pretty good.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I finally saw the film on cable tonight. My already high opinion of Chadwick Boseman's acting only increased after watching him embody James Brown. I was bothered a little at first by the film's tendency to frequently jump back and forth to different points in time, but I could see why it helped the story by drawing together themes of JB's life. And since Craig braced us (above) for the painful aspects, I was able to handle the depressing sections pretty well. In short: excellent acting, good film, great music.

Chadwick Boseman deserves an Oscar. It's too bad that this was the Academy's "whitest year" since 1998.

Best,

Geoff

Archived