Suggestions for a CHEAP and SMALL MIDI Keyboard Controller

• CMS Author

I'm looking for a small keyboard controller. I'm not going to play it (I can't play a keyboard anyway) but I want it for latency test purposes. It needs to be mechanical, at least tactile, so I can't make do with an iPad or on-screen virtual keyboard. I have a 59 or so key keyboard synth that I've been using but it takes up too much room in the workshop. I'm looking for something that has a small footprint so I can put it on the workbench and easily move it out of the way when I don't need it. And because it's not going to be used for making any money, I want it cheap. It can have built-in sounds, or not. It doesn't matter how cheezy the sounds are. But of course it must have MIDI, preferably with a 5-pin MIDI OUT connector. I could live with USB since the test rig will involve a computer but I'd like the flexibility of being able to test an interface's MIDI input if it has one.

I recall seeing some really dinky looking controllers, I think from Korg, at a NAMM show within the last year or two that were only about a foot long, probably 25 keys or so, and cost about $30. The closest I've found by web-shopping is about $50.

Any suggestions, or does anyone have something like this in a closet that they'd like to get rid of cheap? Please don't just send me to an eBay listing, tell me what you think might do it and I'll go looking for one. Thanks.

• Members

Korg Nano key. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKEY2bk?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=keyboards&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMTDv63-6r8CFSpp7Aod4WoAoQ

They are USB midi only, not regular midi din cable type.

If you need those you'd bet better off just scanning EBay for a cheap Yamaha or Casio keyboard with midi ports. You can find plenty of those cheap.

There's a couple of Korg units that might work...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-nanokey2-slim-line-usb-keyboard-controller/h85833

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-microkey37-usb-midi-keyboard/h97603

...but the first thing that popped into my head was something like a used M-Audio Oxygen 8. They have both USB and 5-pin DIN MIDI jacks, are mechanical, and sell inexpensively used.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=M%20Audio%20Oxygen%208%20MIDI%20Controller&_itemId=270384496238

• CMS Author

Thanks for the info so far. I guess it was those Korg Nano ones that i saw and was thinking about, but I guess they turned out to be about $50 instead of about $30. Maybe I should wait until they've been out long enough to start showing up on eBay for half the new price when people realize what they aren't.

Looking further into the Korg Nanokey, I see that there's an original version (one of those on eBay for $35 with free shipping - tempting) and a Nanokey 2 with, among other things, "improved keys" which might mean that a beat up original model won't last very long.

I saw an Oxygen 25 key model at Guitar Center the other day. It's kind of fat (deep) and takes up about twice the space of a Korg Nano.

Wish I hadn't sold my Yamaha DX-100 25 years ago, but at least it went to a good home.

Maybe I can do what I want with my Yamaha DD-5 drum pad set. That sounds like a good project for the next crummy day.

• Members
Thanks for the info so far. I guess it was those Korg Nano ones that i saw and was thinking about, but I guess they turned out to be about $50 instead of about $30. Maybe I should wait until they've been out long enough to start showing up on eBay for half the new price when people realize what they aren't.

Looking further into the Korg Nanokey, I see that there's an original version (one of those on eBay for $35 with free shipping - tempting) and a Nanokey 2 with, among other things, "improved keys" which might mean that a beat up original model won't last very long.

I saw an Oxygen 25 key model at Guitar Center the other day. It's kind of fat (deep) and takes up about twice the space of a Korg Nano.

Wish I hadn't sold my Yamaha DX-100 25 years ago, but at least it went to a good home.

Maybe I can do what I want with my Yamaha DD-5 drum pad set. That sounds like a good project for the next crummy day.

Musicians friend had all three nano units on sale awhile back for $29. I picked up a NanoKontroller several months ago and it works like a champ. simple and effective.

• Moderators

I was going to suggest an oxygen 25, but you mentioned that its a bit deep in size.

You could try the Akai LPK25. It's similar in size to the Korg Nano, but its more tactile. Though both are USB based, and don't have MIDI ports.

Maybe you could try the Alesis Q25. I think its a tad smaller than the Oxygen 25, and it still has a MIDI port.

• Members
I'm looking for a small keyboard controller. I'm not going to play it (I can't play a keyboard anyway) but I want it for latency test purposes. It needs to be mechanical, at least tactile, so I can't make do with an iPad or on-screen virtual keyboard. I have a 59 or so key keyboard synth that I've been using but it takes up too much room in the workshop. I'm looking for something that has a small footprint so I can put it on the workbench and easily move it out of the way when I don't need it. And because it's not going to be used for making any money, I want it cheap. It can have built-in sounds, or not. It doesn't matter how cheezy the sounds are. But of course it must have MIDI, preferably with a 5-pin MIDI OUT connector. I could live with USB since the test rig will involve a computer but I'd like the flexibility of being able to test an interface's MIDI input if it has one.

I recall seeing some really dinky looking controllers, I think from Korg, at a NAMM show within the last year or two that were only about a foot long, probably 25 keys or so, and cost about $30. The closest I've found by web-shopping is about $50.

Any suggestions, or does anyone have something like this in a closet that they'd like to get rid of cheap? Please don't just send me to an eBay listing, tell me what you think might do it and I'll go looking for one. Thanks.

AAAAAsz1o6wAAAAAAHO9TA.jpg?v=1191111099000

I had one of these & liked it a lot. Keys were surprisingly good. Drum pads kicked a**. I gave it to a friend because I had too much stuff. But I recommend it. M-Audio Axiom 25.

Archived