The EMP Museum in Seattle, Have You "Experienced" It?

ggm1960

• Members

So we recently returned from our vacation in which Seattle was the prime destination. We bought City Passes which I would say are a good value. Included was the EMP Museum which I was quite interested to check out as I vaguely remember reading an article or two about it and perhaps seeing it advertised somewhere. Frankly, however, I just wasn't all that impressed with it. Certainly it was neat to see the Jimi Hendrix stuff but the collection, I thought anyway, was pretty limited. There was a guitar, maybe two, that he'd played and a few articles of stage clothing but otherwise was mostly just posters, articles, promo ads and a few letters. There was a booth where you could remix the original 4 track recordings of several Hendrix tunes but I wonder if that's not already available somewhere on the internet. There was quite a bit more paraphernalia in the Nirvana room and it really was quite interesting, informative and enjoyable but then that was about it. What about Heart, Sound Garden, Queensryche, Pearl Jam or any of the other big Seattle acts of past or present?

They had another room with a good display of vintage instruments (guitars mostly) including a few I hadn't seen before but otherwise the rest of the exhibit appeared to be more geared for children. Yeah the big video stage concert area was a nice touch and the HUGE collage of junk instruments was a real curiosity to behold but I guess I was expecting more. Granted I'm not the enthusiastic young musician I once was but I only give this a C+.

• Members

I would have a hard time grading the EMP, 'cause there's nothing else like it I've ever seen to compare it to. It's got stuff that I would certainly never see otherwise. But I don't get too jazzed by music paraphernalia. An art museum, you see the art. A music museum - you see odds and ends used to make the music or were somehow associated with the musician. A big difference.

I did get a huge kick out of the SciFi museum, which I've read has been "de-installed as a permanent collection" in recent years. Not sure what that means - if the items are still there or not. I spent a lot more time ohhing and ahhing in there.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I'd go. I'd probably like to see the paraphernalia. But sure, I don't get super excited about it. I just saw a bunch of cool stuff at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas. It was fun. But I come away also thinking, "Wow...a lot of rock stars really aren't very tall."

• Members
I would have a hard time grading the EMP, 'cause there's nothing else like it I've ever seen to compare it to. It's got stuff that I would certainly never see otherwise.

Yes that's definitely true in that any museum of this type will have a certain uniqueness to it but the first places that come to mind for me are Sun Studio and Graceland. I thought the Sun Studio tour was a better experience in that the atmosphere and displays really serve as a sort of time capsule in which you're transported back to a time when great things were happening there and then Graceland.....well...wow! An A+ must see!

• Members
So we recently returned from our vacation in which Seattle was the prime destination. We bought City Passes which I would say are a good value. Included was the EMP Museum which I was quite interested to check out as I vaguely remember reading an article or two about it and perhaps seeing it advertised somewhere. Frankly, however, I just wasn't all that impressed with it. Certainly it was neat to see the Jimi Hendrix stuff but the collection, I thought anyway, was pretty limited. There was a guitar, maybe two, that he'd played and a few articles of stage clothing but otherwise was mostly just posters, articles, promo ads and a few letters. There was a booth where you could remix the original 4 track recordings of several Hendrix tunes but I wonder if that's not already available somewhere on the internet. There was quite a bit more paraphernalia in the Nirvana room and it really was quite interesting, informative and enjoyable but then that was about it. What about Heart, Sound Garden, Queensryche, Pearl Jam or any of the other big Seattle acts of past or present?

They had another room with a good display of vintage instruments (guitars mostly) including a few I hadn't seen before but otherwise the rest of the exhibit appeared to be more geared for children. Yeah the big video stage concert area was a nice touch and the HUGE collage of junk instruments was a real curiosity to behold but I guess I was expecting more. Granted I'm not the enthusiastic young musician I once was but I only give this a C+.

I was there shortly after it first opened. I think that's a fair grade.

Archived