Craig ....At NAMM yet ???

• CMS Author

Me, neither. Nashville for NAMM has turned out to be much too expensive for my non-profit self. I've received several press releases for the kind of gear that I don't usually see at Summer NAMM so I guess the industry is thriving.

Somebody be on the lookout for the Trident 88 console which, if it made it to the show, will probably be set up in a local studio for demos. It incorporates some of my ideas about how a console should be laid out (but I don't get royalties).

• CMS Author
Can you elaborate a bit on that please Mike? :)

Elaborate on what?

Nashville expensive? It costs more to fly from Washington to Nashville than it does to fly from Washington to Los Angeles. Hotels within walking distance of the convention center have all had rates over $150/night for months before the show (they've discovered the NAMM show). I don't like to depend on cabs other than in New York, and the cost of a hotel outside of downtown plus a rental car, plus parking near the convention center is expensive unless you get there early enough to park at the library, But the barbecue is better than in Anaheim.

The gear at the show? For one, Antelope should have an actual working Zen Studio there. I wouldn't expect Antelope at a Summer show. Most of the mainstream mic companies will be there (I remember just seeing the oddballs at the Summer show), Maybe the new Cymatic 24-channel recorder will be there. Even Slate is exhibiting. It might be a real show for audio gear, different from previous Nashville shows I've attended, which, I'll admit, hasn't been the previous two.

The Trident console? I had some input on the layout of the master section and a few other things that I don't remember. They ask me what I think, I tell them.

http://tridentaudiodevelopments.com/trident88.html

• Members

Actually Mike I have been told that Drum stuff is abundant this year. In fact the most drums at summer namm in 10 years. Pearl is even back! I know that drums aren't your thing but this an indication of the SIZE of this summer Namm. Dan

• Members

Went past the fastest drummer area today but didn't see you...busy show for me.

Did anyone see Goldmouth play at the end of the show today? I was very impressed. Their 18-year-old singer/guitarist has major charisma and plays it like he means it. It was great to see a band that didn't just played their instruments, they played their music.

• Members

Technically I wasn't at the show today.....but managed to "get the feel" for WFD in the lobby....and then I was gone. I'll be there all day tommorow. With the help of new technology I have a new SIM card in my phone with a 90 day Nashville phone number. I'll PM you with that phone # and anyone else that may want to see me tomorrow.

Dan

• CMS Author
Actually Mike I have been told that Drum stuff is abundant this year. In fact the most drums at summer namm in 10 years. Pearl is even back! I know that drums aren't your thing but this an indication of the SIZE of this summer Namm. Dan

We'll see when the reports start trickling in. They keep saying that the Summer show is "catching on" again, but I think it'll always be geared to the smaller music stores - which is not to say that some of the audio manufacturers wouldn't like to get some of their product into those stores so musicians in the boondocks wouldn't have to make a 100 mile trip to look at gear or mail-order and then not bother to return it.

• Members

I talked to Joe Lamond and he said that the current plans are to keep NAMM's smaller, more regional focus. That said, Nashville is located relatively centrally, so there's a decent reach to the midwest and south.

Attendance and exhibitors were both up over last year, which surprised me because I thought the "new convention center" effect might wear off. Quite the opposite. They opened up more of the exhibit area this year to accommodate the extra people. Still no Fender, PRS, Peavey, Ibanez, InMusic, etc. and the booths weren't huge, but of course Gibson was there along with all the Gibson Brands, Yamaha and Hal Leonard had a significant presence, and companies like Casio, Fishman, and others were well-represented. Roland was there, but only showed a few pedals and amps in keeping with the guitar-centric nature of the show.

The new convention center is a big improvement over the old one, and the venue went out of its way to be accommodating. As soon as you walked in, there were info booths and the security was very hands-off about checking bags and such...seemed like they were mostly eyeballing and being selective on whose bags they wanted to see. Public day was filled with tire-kickers but I suspect that over time, companies will start to get into the concept as a way to get feedback. Several manufacturers said they wrote decent business during the first half of Thursday and Friday, with less action in the afternoon.

I planned to go for only one day, and frankly could have seen the whole show in a day if I didn't socialize at all, but went back for public day just to take the pulse of what was happening...it was worth it, I ran into more people and visited more booths.

There weren't a ton of new products, although I did get some hands-on time with products I'd heard about but not used, like the Jamstix MIDI controller and Xkey from CME.

Overall, while I wouldn't want to get jingoistic and say "Summer NAMM is back!" I will say that it is building, and exceeded my expectations.

Archived