Anyone Here Using the New "R2D2" Mac Pro or Mac Mini?

• Members

My situation: my dual Xeon Mac, which works just fine thank you, is now obsolete for no technical reason but because it was built a few weeks before the cutoff Apple placed on whether machines could be upgraded to full 64-bit operation. There are hacks you can do, but they seem like a hassle so I'm on Lion forever. Guess I need to get a new Mac.

Mitch Gallagher recommended getting a Mac Mini. No slots, no FireWire, but Thunderbolt and four USB 3 connectors; although it comes with 4GB, you can upgrade to 8 or 16GB. As I use Windows for the heavy lifting in my studio, seems like the Mini would do what I need to do - test out Mac music programs, do all my word processing and office stuff, etc. Getting one with 16GB would run about a grand, while the Mac Pro starts at $3K.

So i guess I really have two questions...if any of you are using Mac Minis, do you feel limited? And if you're using one of the new Mac Pros, is it so mind-boggling it's worth making quite the financial stretch because I'll regret it if I don't? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

I don't have a Mac Pro, but I've never felt the need.

I use my PC for my Pro Tools HD setup. My MacBook Pro is a couple of years old now, but it's a quad core i7 (2.2 GHz) with 16GB of RAM and a Thunderbolt port, so even that machine packs a pretty good punch. I've never felt under-powered in terms of testing Mac applications with it.

I have an old Core 2 Duo Mini. My wife uses it for surfing the Internet. I love the tiny form factor of it. No PCI slots, so it's limited there... but the new ones do have Thunderbolt (which you'll want / need), and if you get the 2.3 GHz version, you can get a Mini with a quad core i7 in it - which I would highly recommend. I'd definitely stay away from the i5 model at this point.

Get the one with the least amount of RAM you can from Apple. Buy your own RAM and put it in. You'll save money that way. Again, I'd definitely suggest maxing it out and getting 16GB.

One other money saving tip - check Apple's list of refurbished machines. You get a standard warranty with them, but they typically sell for a hundred or two hundred less than the non-refurbished machines. That's how I got my MBP, and I saved a couple hundred dollars. It looked brand new, and has worked flawlessly for me for a couple of years now.

The Mac Pro is a dream machine. It has tons of horsepower, but if you don't need it, why pay for it? I love that it has tons of Thunderbolt ports... but do you need all of them? I wish I had a second one on my MBP... a lot of devices don't have a second port on them, and without it, they have to be at the end of the Thunderbolt chain... but if you have two devices like that, or use an external (non-Thunderbolt) screen and want to use one of those devices, you're out of luck - you have to disconnect your external monitor...

If it's a secondary machine, I'd recommend getting the Mac Mini. If it was going to serve as your primary / only computer, and you can afford / justify it, get the Pro... but in your situation, I'd probably get the Mini.

PS As far as Firewire, if you ever needed to use / test / review a Firewire device with the Mini, the Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter is always an option. I did a Focusrite Saffire interface review recently, and even though my MBP has Firewire as well as Thunderbolt, I tested the interface using the adapter, and it worked flawlessly.

• Members

Craig I suggest head to the Apple online store and look at "refurb"

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I have Mac Mini Server - I highly recommend

Still has Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 - a good mix for supporting legacy gear

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD...th-oS-X-Server

But as Phil stated -

Get third party 16GB DDR3 RAM upgrade ($140 Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12...dr3+sdram+16gb

the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter works great - allows me to use my old MOTU 828MK2 Firewire with my MacbookPro (Retina)

But not needed since this MacMini has Firwire800 and (Firewire 800>400 adapters are cheap.

And Happy 4th 2014 old friend!

• CMS Author

I know of quite a number of people who use a Mac Mini for audio work, even Pro Tools. Every time I think about a computer upgrade, I think about going over to the dark side and getting a Mac Mini, but then I buy another 4 year old Dell and that's my upgrade.

If you want more ports for the Mini and even a couple of PCIe slots, the Sonnett xMac Mini Server will set you back only another $1300, and you can put it in your road rack.

• Members

I had a G4 and a G5 that both died on me prematurely, not to mention they were noisy and bulky. Then I purchased an iMac for the family and fell in love with it. When it came time to replace the G5, I looked around and the iMac kept coming up. Everyone I spoke to recommended it for my needs. I pulled the trigger and haven`t had any issues (knock on wood). Its been 4 years now of stress free working. I turn it on and it just quietly does its thing. I have it loaded to the max with RAM too since Day 1. I don`t see myself going with a $3000 Mac Pro after this machine, no point in spending that kind of $$$ when I can get the same production for 1/2 the price. And another thing, I love having a huge 27" screen on my desktop and its stealth quiet.

• Members

+1 on the iMac - but only the "refurb" as brand versions dropped most the features i rely on daily basis - lack of Stereo Line In, No DVD, No Firewire, soldered down "non user upgrade-able" RAM are the deal breakers - Luckily I grabbed a "refurb" summer 2011 iMac 27" I7 3.4GHz upgraded to 32GB RAM has everything but no USB 3.0 - which is a blessing since most USB Audio/ MIDI Gear does not play well with USB 3.0 (exception is MOTU and N.I. Interfaces) .

New Computers for Music here:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6104.0

• Members

I'd go with the Mini.

The iMacs are nice but having a heat source that close to my face is a turn off.

Interestingly, most cats I know are still rocking older systems, with older OS's, tons of plugs, 32 to 64 bit bridges, and kicking ass.

I know a couple of people that have the new machines. They seem to be setting up more than they make music.

I don't know anyone that uses Pro Tools 11. Maybe in a year or two.

• Members

Craig... you've always struck me as an Apple hater... it seems to percolate throughout your writing... so why not simply not get a mac at all? why feel compelled?

But if you do get a Mac to test out music programs and whatnot, getting an older refurb unit sounds like more grist for the mill, more frustration because older hardware won't run newer software as well.

why not get an iMac, which is what most users (/music users) get... by far?

an iMac is by far the best and most popular choice for most musicians.

even on the fairly high end, many power users now get iMacs, without needing to go to R2D2.

it will have all the connections and power you need and reflect an actual contemporary experience.

• Members

Craig used to use Macs primarily, IIRC, and currently, simply prefers Windows.

I do not have the new Mac Pro. I also don't own a Money Tree.

I do, however, own an iMac, which works beautifully after three years, and a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006, which also works beautifully. I use this latter one for the studio.

I would probably consider getting a Mac Mini if I were to get another computer to replace the Mac Pro 1,1 in part so I can use my very nice 30" screen for working on my photos (IOW, like Craig, I don't need the iMac's screen, as nice as it is).

I use a Windows 7 netbook primarily for traveling and absolutely love Windows 7. The netbook is cheap, has ample storage, boots up fast, and is rock solid.

For the every day use around the home, however, I switched the computers in our house to Mac after constantly battling viruses. I just got fed up with this, went Mac, and never looked back. I like a computer that operates as quickly and efficiently as the day I bought it. I don't like constantly having to battle viruses. I'm sure someone will get on here and say, "Oh, hey, I never have problems...just use _____." or "If you know what you're doing and have a strong regimen where you do ____ and _____, you won't have any problems." Yeah. That's you. I know what I'm doing. I still had problems.

• Members
Craig... you've always struck me as an Apple hater... it seems to percolate throughout your writing... so why not simply not get a mac at all? why feel compelled?

Because I've been using Macs continuously since 1985 and am not about to stop now. I use Mac about 40% of the time and Windows 60% with desktops. Used to be 50-50, but I've been logging so much time on Sonar it's titled more in that direction. For laptop use, it's reversed - about 60% Mac and 40% Windows. But if I do anything that requires getting up in front of the public, whether it's a music gig or seminar, it's 100% Windows due to the ability to replicate a Windows system easily, no matter where I find myself.

I don't hate Macs at all. I do, however, prefer PCs for music and video because I can get a lot more power for less money, the machines are more customizable, and they tend to use off the shelf parts - fixing one if anything goes down is so much easier. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Apple's engineering and industrial design, but I'm no fanboi. I don't like the planned obsolescence of Macs, and I don't like the way Apple has devalued software in order to sell more hardware. As a company they're really no better or worse than Microsoft,just more competent in some ways.

I don't hate Macs at all. I do, however, prefer PCs for music and video because I can get a lot more power for less money, the machines are more customizable, and they tend to use off the shelf parts - fixing one if anything goes down is so much easier.

Those are pretty much exactly the same reasons why my main DAW computer is a self-built DIY PC. If something in it dies, there's no need to send it to Cupertino, or even to the local Apple Store / Genius bar. I can run down to Best Buy, or go online to Newegg and get the parts I need and have it back up and running fast.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Apple's engineering and industrial design, but I'm no fanboi. I don't like the planned obsolescence of Macs, and I don't like the way Apple has devalued software in order to sell more hardware. As a company they're really no better or worse than Microsoft,just more competent in some ways.

Well said, and absolutely on the money IMO.

• Members

I don't hate Macs at all. I do, however, prefer PCs for music and video because I can get a lot more power for less money, the machines are more customizable, and they tend to use off the shelf parts - fixing one if anything goes down is so much easier. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Apple's engineering and industrial design, but I'm no fanboi. I don't like the planned obsolescence of Macs, and I don't like the way Apple has devalued software in order to sell more hardware. As a company they're really no better or worse than Microsoft,just more competent in some ways.

I would agree with the above. As I mentioned, the primary thing that has caused me to use Macs more than PCs is my weariness in constantly battling viruses (well, okay, that and Windows 95 :D ). I do like using a Mac, as I like the interface. But I'm not a fanboi either.

• Members
Craig I suggest head to the Apple online store and look at "refurb"

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I have Mac Mini Server - I highly recommend

Still has Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 - a good mix for supporting legacy gear

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD...th-oS-X-Server

But as Phil stated -

Get third party 16GB DDR3 RAM upgrade ($140 Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12...dr3+sdram+16gb

the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter works great - allows me to use my old MOTU 828MK2 Firewire with my MacbookPro (Retina)

But not needed since this MacMini has Firwire800 and (Firewire 800>400 adapters are cheap.

And Happy 4th 2014 old friend!

Currently the quad i7 Mini is the best bang for the buck, from Apple.

Kits are available for adding a second drive.

It's the last Mac that is user upgradeable.

Still contains FW800, Ethernet, room for a second hard drive.

Some who have large orchestral templates are using multiple minis and VEP5 for hosting plugins.

Two maxed out Minis cost less than a quad i7 iMac, and a system with eight cores for a higher plugin count.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't like the planned obsolescence of Macs, and I don't like the way Apple has devalued software in order to sell more hardware. As a company they're really no better or worse than Microsoft,just more competent in some ways.

Microsoft is not just less competent, it's utterly faltered from search to mobile. Where Microsoft is today with respect to Apple and Google vs. 10 or 15 years ago... it's almost inconceivable.

Your point about Apple devaluing software also baffles me every time I read it. The biggest companies in tech give away their software -- Google more so than Apple -- to sell other things, from hardware (Apple) to user data (Google, Facebook, etc.). Tech companies providing "free" software to recruit users into their business model is part of the new tech landscape, for better or worse.

But I've never heard anyone else characterize that as devaluation. If anything, to me it underscores the value of software. Software is king. confused-smiley-013.gif

Archived