very disappointed with Sony Movie Studio Platinum (vegas)

• Members

Every time I try and do something new it gives me a hard time. With my old Corel package it was easy to split audio from video and then edit in Cool Edit. With this I expect to use Sound Forge instead but I get the message. "Registration of Sound Forge Studio 10.0 requires elevated privileges." , so I hit NEXT AND IT GETS LOST IN CYBERSPACE. It completely forgets and never comes back ! YES THIS IS A REGISTERED COPY AND YES I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR IT !!

DAN

• Members

Sounds very frustrating. Also sounds like a job for Sony Software customer service. I feel pretty certain they should be able to get things straightened out for you.

I'm running that version in Win 7 on my cheapo i5 desktop and was running it in XP on my even cheaper old P4 single core refurb, so I'm thinking once you get registration sorted, you should be in pretty good shape.

Get hold of Sony and tell them your error messages. thumb_zps456fc56e.gif

• Members
Ok. It is very weird. It will work only if I open MSP as ADMINISTRATOR or open Sound Forge as administrator. It works more seamlessly if I open MSP first as Administrator and then click EDIT a COPY of the sound file within MSP.

Dan

I was going to mention that. When you installed the program you may have installed it as a user instead of an administrator (or vice versa) then when you open it you have to right click and click run as an administrator.

The fix is easy however. I had this happening on my Win 7 box. I believe you can right click on the Program Icon when opening the program and select the security tab, then edit the permissions so you have full control. Cant remember if you have to be logged in as an administrator to make those changes. If you have to log in when you boot up then you may have to go into the control panel, then click on User Accounts. You can then set your user account permissions to match administrator. Then when you right click on the program launch button you can make the security changes for the program opening.

All this stuff is part of the UAC both Vista and Windows installs automatically and is mainly designed for office networks so employees cant jack with programs the IT department installs on an office network. It can also be utilized on a home network where you share the computer with a family and you don't want kids access to your important programs and files.

In my case I'm the only one running the computer so I shut all that stuff off. When I boot up I don't need to log on and have access to all programs and files. I guess its not smart if I had my computer stolen but I don't keep any critical files on my DAW.

If you need additional help you can find details on line by googeling.

These are the two main items UAC and Program rights.

http://www.optimizingpc.com/windows7/windows_7_useraccountcontrol.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731858.aspx

Archived