Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

1/16th of the RIAA's revenue goes to its CEO

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/16th of the RIAA's revenue goes to its CEO

The RIAA’s chief executive Cary Sherman makes 1 million in salary and about one half million in bonuses. On a revenue of $24.2 million.

Math whizzes among us will note that's just about 1/16 of the revenue.

However one feels about piracy (and I'm no fan in the slightest), this seems to be just one more exemplar of why, of the billions people spend on music each year, that the overwhelming mass of that money goes into the pockets of non-musicians and, mostly, non-creatives, that is to say money-handlers, lawyers, managers, execs, and other music biz bagmen and parasites.

The RIAA's latest tax filings reveal that the anti-piracy group's revenue has hit a record low as membership dues from record labels continue to decline. But despite the downward trend RIAA CEO Cary Sherman received nearly $500,000 in bonuses in addition to his million dollar salary.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Not sure if them figures are right, they seem very low to me.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by guitarville View Post
      Not sure if them figures are right, they seem very low to me.
      Yeah that sounds like a "someone got profits and revenues confused" sort of number, to me.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      "Vaginas are nice, but I wouldn't trade my balls for one." - boxorox

Comment

Same numbers, different source: http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...6-million-year
        Last edited by blue2blue; 06-19-2014, 05:16 AM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

Well given how much business has improved in the record industry, clearly he's worth every penny. Also the way he ended piracy was absolutely brilliant.
          There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Wow.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------
            "Vaginas are nice, but I wouldn't trade my balls for one." - boxorox

Comment

Working...
            X