Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
    Hum, Did you right click on them and go into folder properties? There should be a tab that says security and you can give yourself full rights.
    Some of the stuff may be set up for shared if you're on a network. Doth think that would stop you from accessing the folders though.
    That was the first thing I looked at. Both Mike and Administrator have all permissions. When I tried to add permissions for EVERYONE, it denied access.

The only other thing that comes to mind if you open up the control panel, then select folder options, you can make global access changes under "View" You can try reset first, or you can click on show hidden folders and drives. This will let you see and access system critical files.
    Got that. No, these are folders like "My Pictures," "My Videos" and "My Documents." Oddly, there are folders named Videos, Music, and Documents (also under the Mike folder) that I am able to access. So who's this "My" that can't access the folders? It's the "My" folders that appear in the Start menu, so I assume those are the ones that common users are expecting to use.

The only other thing I can think of is in the control panel, is click on User Accounts. You can go in from there and manage your accounts.
    If I remember right, you can install software as a user or an administrator. If for example, you have an open software disk and just click on the install it sets it up under the user name. If you right click on it you have the option of installing it as an administrator so all users can use that program if you authorize them to use it.
    When I open the User Accounts, the only user that shows up is Mike as Administrator, so presumably everything I do will be as an adminstrator.

This is one of those UAC things people hated in the beginning. Luckily there's a billion articles that teach you how to shut it off. In an office where you have allot of people it does keep people out of your computer but a home computer, turn that crap off.
    I'm pretty sure I turned off UAC. Something that I tried to do popped up a window saying I couldn't do t and referred me to User Access Control. I can't remember what that was.

It seems to me that when I was setting up the Win7 machine, I had access to all of that stuff until I connected it to the local network, then access was blocked. I don't know if I ever had access before setting it up on the network because that's one of the first things I did. Is it possible that there's something that keeps it from recognizing that I'm local to the system and should have access?

The other thing is that when I try to access this Vista computer from another computer on the network, it asks me for a user name and password. I never set a user password on this computer. Could this have something to do with the Windows Firewall? I have that turned on because I didn't feel like screwing with anything else and wanted to have some protection while it's connected to the Internet. I'm pretty sure I went through this same thing on the Win7 computer and I can't remember if I ever resolved it or just made file transfers from one computer to the other by "getting" rather than "sending" (which works fine - I can see, and get files from other computers on the network from the Vista computer).
    --
    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
    Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

I still have Vista installed on one of my laptops because at this point, it's essentially Windows 7. There are some programs that don't support Vista but in most cases, they'll work anyway. I understand from Cakewalk there are some "under the hood" changes between Vista and 7 that will matter to Sonar eventually, but remember that Sonar is tied very closely to the operating system...generally more so than ported programs.

One thing I found about Vista is that it isn't very good about telling you about updates. I had to reinstall Vista once and thought I'd done the updates. Vista didn't show the need to update, but when I went to Windows update...another bunch of megabytes and installs. I had to do this several times before ALL the updates were installed, and there were a lot of them. Took a full day IIRC.
      There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

One thing I found about Vista is that it isn't very good about telling you about updates. I had to reinstall Vista once and thought I'd done the updates. Vista didn't show the need to update, but when I went to Windows update...another bunch of megabytes and installs. I had to do this several times before ALL the updates were installed, and there were a lot of them. Took a full day IIRC.
        Sheesh! I can't leave this thing turned on for an hour without telling me that there are updates waiting to install (I have it set to tell me about updates but not do install them untii I say it's OK). This computer came with a fresh install off an OEM source so it didn't have any updates. First batch was, I think, 192. Now they seem to be coming in batches of 10 or so. Most of the latest ones are security fixes for NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5, both of which it installed in the first batch of updates. I guess they don't update the updates so you get the latest ones the first time.

I found a skinny Firewire card in the closet, plugged it in, and the Mackie 1640i worked with it. And the cool thing is that there's a Vista (but not Win7) update for the Mackie 1200F so I can get a little more mileage out of that. But a new computer sure is a time soak!

--
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Working...
        X