Choosing songs for an EP

davie

• Moderators

I've written a bunch of songs that each seem to go in different directions, creatively. Some songs with various production styles (eg. modern rock with synth, piano/strings, and acoustic). I know I have to eventually go with a certain style and definite my own sound. At times I'm somewhat conflicted, for instance a couple of songs I consider good enough to be used, but each of those songs only well sound with a particular style that is almost opposite of the other. I'm guessing that I need to make something cohesive.

So anyway, what are some good guidelines to follow when compiling a set of musical works together? And what are some things I should consider?

What's your take on this?

• Members

I'm not a good person to ask. It's very rare these days for me to be able to stay in one stylistic groove for 8 to 12 songs.

They say we live in a singles age... but they also say we live in the age of branding. And one thing they say about branding, musical style has often been thought of as a foundation. Some people shape their brand to transcend stylistic constraints (Bowie), but in the real world, how possible is that, really? (Bowie.)

But I do think it's possible to create a musical identity that transcends style. There are dangers. At one end, you've got the cover-band syndrome, stylistic chameleons who never really develop their own image. But at the other, you've got bands that really do have some range. Consider the Beatles. Even without considering the last few albums, the managed to do convincing, reasonably well liked work in a fairly wide range of styles -- yet it pretty much always sounded like the Beatles. wink_zpsa9897a65.gif

• Moderators

I get what you mean, Blue.

I would love to explore various genres and styles. Every artist will evolve creatively, absolutely. But at this point in time, I probably need to find an identity a particular sound of my own, especially if its my debut EP/album.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Archived