If Craig Anderton Can Do It.....

Mark L

• Members

....then so can I

I've finally got around to doing a 'proper' video of my song Black Market Daydreams. By 'proper' I mean using images which actually complement the song, and typed lyrics

I used Windows Live Movie Maker (free), hence it's all a bit basic. But hey, it's the best I can do

Hope you like it :)

[video=youtube;--s80vN8Yho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--s80vN8Yho

• Members

that's great.

Again, I can't emphasize enough how much better... far better... far far far better... your songs are when you're singing and playing them.

It's musical, it rocks, your vocals are great, the mix is great.

You should go be a musician. :)

• Members

Both of those songs are better than anything on the radio......They both rock! The second, man those filter effects are great and the whole thing sounds Beatleish to me..A GOOD thing.

Both great songs and cool videos as well...

The message in the second..Wow....You could get hurt for that if what I read and hear about English soccer fans is true.

Yeah I know y'all call it football...I'm a bleedin' Yank though..Football is the NFL to me.

But your usual great works Mark....You're a force of nature when it comes to songwriting..

• Members
I've no idea what 'filter effects' are, so if I used them it was more by accident than design :D

But thanks very much for the compliments, Joe. I'm flattered :)

What I was referring to were the autowah like effects on the guitars...

• Members
....then so can I

I've finally got around to doing a 'proper' video of my song Black Market Daydreams. By 'proper' I mean using images which actually complement the song, and typed lyrics

I used Windows Live Movie Maker (free), hence it's all a bit basic. But hey, it's the best I can do

Hope you like it :)

[video=youtube;--s80vN8Yho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--s80vN8Yho

My admiration for this song prevails... but that admiration underlines my notion that with a few possible tweaks, you might make the song even more engaging and open it up a little more.

If you ever get it in your head to remix it, I think I'd suggest bringing up the vocals (and keyboards buried way down there?) above the guitars (they feel to me like they're well under them, in a sense) and then break up the song sections by varying the level of the rhythm guitar parts or maybe even using some sort of (subtle) effect matrix to demarcate the sections more. As it is, that fuzzy rhythm starts out loud and never really drops. It's good for the song -- I just think it needs to be more foundational. Once we hear that guitar nice and big at the beginning, I think you could let the other elements push it down some as they come in. (Do it with the faders, though, not by ducking it with a keyed compressor. [And don't go all coy and pretend you don't have at least half an idea what that last is about. biggrin.gif )

Anyhow, a strong song, as has been widely remarked. And I liked the nice, straightforward vid presentation, too. thumb_zps456fc56e.gif

• Members
Cheers, matey :)

And here's another one. I had nothing better to do yesterday...

[video=youtube;nTdtLUVlAgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTdtLUVlAgY

You just have a great rock and roll voice, seems to me. Maybe it just sounds so classic Brit rock to me (in the best way, mind you).

At any rate, I think I'd bring those vox up in this if I ever reworked it. And maybe rejigger levels on the envelope follower guitar downward a bit (and maybe use a compressor on it to take excessive dynamic 'bounce' out of it, kind of 'tame' it a bit), varying them in sections. (When I have a guitar or keyboard or whatever that runs all the way through a song, unless it's already in there because of playing dynamics, I tend to vary the loudness from section to section. In fact, I will often vary levels from verse to verse or chorus to chorus. IOW, The first verse I might drop an element out entirely, then bring it in big on the first chorus, then drop it back some for the second verse, drop it out for a bridge, bring it back in loud for the next part... you get the drift. I mean, you clearly already use those techniques (as in the bridge on this). I guess I'm suggesting using them more aggressively to vary things up more. I mean, if you ever decide to play around with it.

wink_zpsa9897a65.gif

PS... Football hooliganism -- or the peculiar relative lack of it here in the States -- seems to be one of our few bragging points over you guys. But then we have so much else that is scary and sad. People are people.

• Members

I don't have the original tracks, blue. I tend to wipe the hard-drive on my 16-track when it starts getting full

So all I have is the mp3

To be honest, though, I've never been one to return to songs once they're finished. I just like to move on to the next one. I won't be troubling the SSS Production Squad any time soon with regard to retrospective mixing ;)

• Members

Yeah... I kinda knew that, I guess. I suppose it's because I don't squeeze out so many songs but I always seem to end up doing multiple versions. (Even as I neglect other songs. It's a problem with being 'inspiration-driven.' Inspiration, for me, being something fitful and fleeting.)

Anyhow, I think the vids work to highlight the lyrics and, indeed, while I knew "Barmy Army" was about the nastier side of Brit social life from listening before, the images and lyrics helped tie it all together.

Archived