What's old is new again ! Neil Young in Retro Record Booth.

• Members

I saw him on Fallon the other night singing and recording in a vintage recording booth that cuts the record on the spot. He released his whole new album created in that record booth. What do you think ? I expect the "acoustic" types here will like this more. My musical taste is closer to techno pop so I can't picture Kraftwerk or Alan Parsons using such a thing.

This gives a new meaning to "quick and dirty" production.

Dan

• Members

One of my vinyl-loving pals sent that to me. (He's a mega-fi fan, pretty well-grounded as audiophiles go, buys CDs and has bought HD formats; we've been discussing Pono.)

Anyhow, I found it really charming. And nice that it's a Bert Jansch song -- with obvious deep resonance for Young, who lost some key friends and colleagues to drugs.

We were talking about the ultra-tricked out Jack White album with all the mastering gimmicks. I was asking him if he was going to try the 'under-label' groove on his new multi-mega-buck turntable and asked him if he ever thought about getting a junker table for playing stuff like that and he told me he was thinking about one of these:

VPI Nomad

• Members

Neil is a fine, if idiosyncratic artist. I would put myself high on the list of those who mostly love his work from the 60's pretty much through the 70's. But he's manifestly way, way out of his depth talking about audio and the science of sound. I mean, it's really, really embarrassing, in a way.

When he was just railing about the supposed superiority of grooved records over CDs on his own time, it was pretty easy to shrug off. I mean, if you like the sound of vinyl, you like the sound of vinyl -- it very definitely sounds different from digital or straight wire delivery -- just as tape sounds different than digital or straight wire delivery (by the latter, I'm talking about live, analog sound, as one might hear during tracking in the CR).

But now that he's got a business interest, it's a lot harder to laugh off the ridiculous and often provably false things he's saying in marketing his device and online store.

We may not mind if our artistic heros have a dicey grasp on science and technology... but when they're saying things that just flat out aren't true while marketing a for-profit product, it's decidedly more troubling -- even if we can convince ourselves that it is not money, itself, driving the informational misdeeds. Ego is a form of greed, too.

• Members
I think it's great trying something different.

Neil's at the age and point in his career where he can not only do pretty much whatever strikes his fancy at the moment and it will be paid attention to, but he also NEEDS to do oddball stuff like this in order to BE paid attention to. It's cool. It's also gimmicky. But we're all talking about it and sending the video clip around which is the important thing. Might not be doing that if it was just another Neil Young + Crazy Horse album....

• Members
It is ironic that he supports mega-fi Pono, but yet he releases this that sounds like it was recorded in 1920. I think Neil is confused.

Na...He's just a beloved weirdo and always has been...There's music of his I hold really kind of sacred and really love...and some that's just ...Meh..But he always puts his heart into it..Which sadly can't save some of it...He's always marched to the beat of a different drummer. I think his opinions are like the opinons of a lot of the famous types....Appreciate their art for what it is and don't take anything else they talk about too seriously.

• Members

Neil's a human being. Not really very predictable. I mean, who would have ever thought that the guy who wrote "Four Dead in Ohio" would turn around in just a few years and endorse Ronald Reagan. (In 1980 only, as I recall. I believe some years later he allowed as how his Reagan endorsement was a mistake. He didn't mention death squads, rampant corruption in the administration, or out of control spending specifically, but we'd like to think those issues factored into his reversal...)

• Moderators
Well MonsterMaker i totally agree with you I'd be writing and recording as much as ...

I think you're a spambot, based on reading your other post as well.

Temp ban in case I'm wrong.

Terry D.

Archived