Looking For A Pattern-Based Metronome

• CMS Author

Metronome apps are plentiful, as are computer programs, but I'm looking for something simpler to use to show off in my upcoming "Learning Tools" workshop. This is for banjo and fiddle players, not drummers or hip-hop composers. I don't want to "make beats" (I don't even know for sure what that means), I want a metronome.

But this needs to be a special metronome to go along with what we in the old time music biz call "crooked tunes." A crooked tune is one that doesn't have four beats in every measure. This was probably originally a mistake but when the geezers playing music around the cracker barrel played it that way once, by golly, that's THE WAY IT'S PLAYED and don't straighten it out so you can tap your foot or dance to it.

So, to accommodate this, I'm looking for a program that works like an old fashioned drum machine with a pattern entry mode where you set up patterns for measures, and a song mode where you string your patterns together in a sequence that can repeat. This isn't highly complex music, two or at most three patterns is all that's necessary. I know this can be done with a MIDI sequencer, but again, I remind you that this is for banjo players who already have a tune, not to compose new music. Ideally, this would be a mobile device app so a player could have it in his pocket, but even a PC program to illustrate the concept would be helpful.

Here's an example (I'm thinking of Ron Huey's Yellow Gals here, which I'm sure you all know just as well as I know Neal Young songs):

Pattern 1 | / / / / | (a four-beat measure)

Pattern 2 | / / | (a two-beat measure)

The tune:

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | (that's three measures of 4/4 and one measure of 2/4)

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | (then it repeats)

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | (four measures of 4/4)

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | (then back to the three measures of 4/4/ and one of 2/4)

then it goes around again, and again, and again, and again.

• Moderators

When it comes to your example, most metronomes would work. Just have the accent set for every 2 beats. Then... 4 and 2 work fine. Of course 3 and 5 are out.

I don't know I've ever seen what you're describing. Of course perusing all the pattern based composing apps I'm sure would reveal one that can easily handle muti time sigs. That's all you're doing really. I suspect you're going to need to go over to the dark side of DJ type apps to find what you need. Use a cowbell and conga instead of a dubstep siren and I'm sure the banjo boys would be fine.

• Members

Drum machines like the Zoom units let you manually key in any pattern you want. It can be done in a timed sequence or done manually in a stepped sequence where you'd key in a click, kick or whatever then add the number of rests between the sound. You can make the patterns as simple or complex as you need them to be and can be used for the most primitive beats you can think of.

You will have to read through the manual which is the most challenging aspect of the process. Once you know how to navigate the menu and had practice keying in a few its as simple as it gets.

The good part is you can store up to 100 of them and with the type of music you're playing that should be plenty. You can also use a foot pedal to start and stop the thing which is very handy. (I found the pedal needs to be a normally closed momentary switch which you can find with a little digging.

I believe you can also save the tempo of the beat so you aren't having to readjust the tempo, but if not you can make up a simple chart with the BPM. Tweaking it to the present needs is ultra simple in any case.

You can also add the bass part if you wanted. Its got a bunch of bass tones including a fretless and getting a simple washtub bass happening would be pretty easy.

• Members

Oh and if you want to get real simple they make those toe tapper pedals used for acoustic players.

They consist of a piezo element that triggers a sound, normally a kick beat and you just tap your foot as you play.

You may find this the best solution (if the tapping doesn't irritate the arthritis) Bluegrass type music often has players who don't keep the beat very well and having a set beat can be more of a distraction making the timing even worse. Someone tapping their foot with a wooden stage sound is a natural thing for most and they can follow it easily. If timing phase outs occur you can just pick it up on the next beat.

• Members

Like WRGKMC, the first thing I thought of was a drum machine just stripped down to a sidestick with accents (or two sidesticks or whatever). But like Lee says, seems like even a metronome set to 2/4 would cover the scenarios outlined.

However, if you want Tock-tick-tick-tick for three bars and Tock-tick for two shortened bars, sounds like something programmable is in order. I'm sure there are programmable metronomes -- but what would that get you that a programmable DM wouldn't have, while still offering many more options for other uses.

• CMS Author

Well, duh! I never thought of just setting the metronome to 2/4. It does indeed work, but it doesn't give you a clue as to where you are in the tune. This is for people who are learning and struggling. Nobody should practice this sort of music with a metronome. It might be dance music, but it's not precise. If it were, the tune wouldn't be crooked.

I should have posted an example of a tune where the metronome that I'm looking for would be helpful for more than just keeping time.

http://slippery-hill.com/M-K/GDAE/AMODAL/YellowGal.mp3

Archived