Rolling Stones Tones

WRGKMC

• Members

I was watching a Rolling Stones concert on VH1 the other day.

I tried to find the concert they did during those years. The Concert was dated 72 or 73 on the TV and I believe it was

the Pacific Tour. When I look at their tour dates it said they were banned from playing in Japan because of Micks Drug Convictions

and the dates were canceled. Makes me scratch my head because I thought it was recorded in Japan but I must be wrong.

The band was playing through those big Ampeg V4's or Maybe SVT's that were the big concert amps of that time.

Couldn't hear any of them using any guitar effects just amps cranked up for that classis stones tone.

I think allot of guitarists miss out on how good guitars can sound from using just the amp cranked and try to get a big sound

using drive boxes and wind up sounding so small. Small amp tones can be cool, but you want to sound big, its got to be big.

9eaeb194db188802c0f78e684f8aa5b5.jpg.51c33ccfd039b4ae9ebf7ffd590fb9db.jpg

• Members

I believe I haven't used any FX since the '90s except tremolo and when I used a Pod XT on a couple things -- recording during stinking hot spells means I really don't like to run the amp or my mixing board -- but I just can't get responsiveness and feel from the Pod clean -- no matter how you play, it comes out the same, even in a clean tone, and so you start spinning knobs looking to inject a little 'life' into it.

There's something about playing a guitar into a converter (even through a mic input/D.B.) that removes important playing dynamics -- I've long assumed it was the lack of dynamic interplay between the shifting impedance of the passive, single coil pickup and the amp preamp stage. At any rate, whatever happens, it's like the POD XT (or going direct into inst. input on my converter [when those inputs on my MOTU 828mkII still worked, long ago; otherwise the unit's been pretty reliable save having to re-initialize it every once in a while]) just strips out all the playing dynamics and vibe. The tone becomes static. It's not a bad tone, necessarily, it just doesn't respond.

• Members

Catalinbread make a pedal called the SFT that really nails the YaYa's era Stones tone. Killer pedal' date=' and if that's a sound you're really into, it is well worth checking out.[/quote']

Yea I remember you talking about those before. $180 is a bit stiff for my wallet but it might well be worth it to get those Ampeg tones.

I do have a little 10 Watt, 1X10" Ampeg from that era and it does give those tones for recording. only clean tones though.

Back in High school we were the big band in town for playing gigs just about any place. I Knew all the other musicians in school

and there was this one kid who was always bugging me to jam with him. He was always bragging about how he knew Alice Cooper

and half the time you couldn't tell if he was telling the truth or giving you a line of BS. He had the shortest fingers on any guitarist I ever knew.

I'd give him lessons and try to get him up to speed. He used to drive me nuts calling me up to be in a band with him.

Guess I must have helped motivated him because he Later he formed Kiss like band doing originals.

He asked me to open for his band at a school show and we agreed. We'd play any place there were people.

We had a really big following so we packed the auditorium with at least 2000 people.

Since they provided the Pro PA setup we got to open for them.

We were using amps like Blackface Bassman and Marshall 50w amps.

I think the bass player used a Sunn Model T amp. We had been playing together for a long time

and actually had a pretty good show and some creative original stuff.

We came on and played a dam good opening set. Everything sounded great through that 5000w PA with 20" speaker pyramids on each side.

The PA was just plain massive and its great when you play an actual theater hall designed for music like that.

My buddies band came out using those matching Ampeg V4's for guitar and keys and V4b for bass.

The band wasn't very good musically. They did some really bad Kiss copy stuff consisting of three chords.

Sound wise we really got our butts handed to us. Those amps are monsters for raw power.

Two things that gig taught me at the age of 16.

Don't underestimate what good gear can do for your music.

Second, That kid did know Alice Cooper very well and got to know many other famous people in the business

over the years as he toured with various bands. I heard one of his albums did very well in England.

I give him a thumbs up for being persistent and was glad when he did OK.

He later went on to producing and writing songs for many different bands like Bon Jovi - "Shot Through the Heart"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ponti

Archived