I'm going to vent a little here.

• Members

The reason you haven't seen as much of me lately is because my mother has been in the hospital for the past 6 months. Even at just 3 visits per week, it is time consuming for me as well as mentally draining. Anyway, she is 82 and broke her femur bone 6 months ago. I found her sitting on her floor when I went to pick her up for supper that day back in October.

The big stress now is convincing her that she can't go home now and whether I agree or disagree with the MICKEY MOUSE therapy that they gave her (on her feet only twice a week for 10 minutes), the fact still remains that she can't take care of herself anymore. They will be discharging her soon and I have already made plans to see my daughter in Toronto (200 miles way) for the long Easter weekend. I have 2 surviving sisters to deal with this while I'm gone.

There are 2 different arguments here. I argue that she shouldn't be put in a nursing home YET because they haven't attempted rigorous enough therapy. The hospital says that it has done "everything that it can" and will discharge her and leave it up to us to convince her that she needs a nursing home.

So now. There you have it......the thing that has been hampering my creative flow for the past 6 months. If you believe in prayer, then please pray for us now.

Dan

• Members

So sorry about this. Are you serious about the physical rehab therapy? Only twice a week for 10 minutes? That's not right! I've been under the impression that nowadays--- with hip and knee replacements--- they get patients up walking everyday, even the day after the surgery.

• Members

I think that they looked at my mothers age and the fact that she was already on a walker for 8 years and probably gave very little effort to the whole situation. They missed the broken femur for the first 3 days (missed it in the xray) and tried to get her walking the day after she was admitted. As a possible result of this, the bone didn't fully heal (enough to bear weight) until 3 months later. Then "walking" was basically holding her up most of the time. The therapy sessions may be up to 1/2 hour but the actual time on her feet would be more like 10 minutes. If they would have used a machine, they could have gradually let her put more and more weight on her feet.

Regardless of what they could have ,should have or might have done ,I think she may be beyond the point of no return now.

Dan

• Members

Hey Dan - my sincere sympathies, the eldercare thing is draining, stressful, frustrating, and it has a tendency to breed mistrust - in your own decisions and motivations, in your other family members, in the healthcare providers, in God sometimes.

My experience, having gone through this now with all four parents, is that the really old folks can surprise you in their ability to heal and keep going a few more innings. Not always, of course, and everyone's got their personal expiration date - but it's so very easy to just look at the poor folks - sick, old, drained, maybe confused, depressed, etc., and give up on them. I think the healthcare system is biased towards just giving up on them when there's the slightest excuse. Unless they're rich or famous or related.

"That's all we could do" usually means, "that's all we can convince the insurance system to pay for given the current diagnosis". And hey, fatalism is, well, fatal.

It can make a difference if you go to bat on the old folk's behalf, keep swinging at the providers, keep asking questions, giving them info, keep in front of them somehow. Shoot, I have to do that for myself or else the healthcare people just take the easy, cheap way out sometimes.

Anyway - tough situation. Hang in there and keep venting.

nat whilk ii

• Members

yeah, they gave my Mom a few tries at physical therapy and when she didn't get with the program, they cut her off.

Can she do water (swim) therapy maybe?? Group exercise? Personal therpapist? Anything she can show some progress with, might convince them to give her more time.

nat whilk ii

• Members
I think the healthcare system is biased towards just giving up on them when there's the slightest excuse. Unless they're rich or famous or related.

"That's all we could do" usually means, "that's all we can convince the insurance system to pay for given the current diagnosis". And hey, fatalism is, well, fatal.

Well said, Nat.

Hang in there, Dan.

Archived