Free Sonar X3 Clinic Now Available Online

Anderton

• Members

re: Berklee :

Named after its founder Lee Berk. Get it? Just after WWII, he noticed that lots of GI's were getting into jazz, which was the rage then, their having been exposed to it during their tours of duty in major cities. When I was there, most of the kids I knew were frankly not really into Jazz... just a few holdouts who might be intrigued with the Bebop 16th note technique, or the wild freeform of Carla Bley, 80's-style "Jazz Lite", or the 1960's modal thang of Herbie Hancock, or intrigued by the stardom of the Marsalis family, et.al. Most of the students I knew, 1987-90, were into rock 'n' roll of various kinds. Only a handful were into Electronica and 1980's-style New Wave/Dance-Synth-Pop, as I was: it was scorned as too effeminate, British and gay by most students; Miles was then into Scritti-Politti, but no-one at Berklee was. Rap/Hiphop was dismissed (rightly, I think), as being a new, non-musical hokum; C&W/Folk fans were nowhere. Tin Pan Alley standards were largely new to everybody except me: I had been crooning the damned things in Texas bars since I was 14. One thing's sure: we were ALL majorly into black 1970's-style R&B/Funk: Earth, Wind & Fire, Tower of Power and Chaka Khan were positively worshipped as the ne plus ultra there. Rock ideas were very much on the menu at Berklee, sure, though all of us were required to study both Classical and Bebop, with an emphasis on the latter. 1940's Bebop was submitted to us as a kind of "common practice" discipline, from which all subsequent jazz was thought to have flowed; the way Bach, Haydn and Mozart might be proffered at Juilliard. When I was there, synthesizers were still very expensive hardware only the richest kids possessed... the school had a few choice, cherry, state-of-the-art keyboards, including a Fairlight monstrosity, but they were all kept padlocked in a glass room which only advanced synth majors could even HOPE to get their hands on, and then only with a prof's handwritten permission. FM/DX7 synthesis was thought of as the newest thing, and only the most hallowed of students was allowed to experiment with digital/wavetable sampling. I suspect all those synths' technologies, and then some, are available now, free, to anyone with a computer. No DAWs then, not really, just MIDI note-sequencers.

(P.S. Craig, what has become of the "shrugging shoulders man" Smiley? It was so useful when you wanted to say "Gee, I dunno what ta tell ya!")

• Members

Cool!

If it makes you feel any better, I never remember how to spell Berklee, either. I remember that it's not like the UC and Lord Berkeley so then I start trying to drop E's out of it, trying Berkley and Berkely and then Googling and then slapping my forehead... It's cyclic.

• Members
I know that on-line you can do anything from anywhere and nobody will know' date=' but Berkeley is in California (among other places). Berklee is in Massachusetts.[/quote']

Never prepare a post in a word processor with auto-correct and then paste without checking...

• Members

40 minutes is never enough time for ya Craig. As far as I can tell you have a real passion for X3, kinda helps if your pitching a product. I see quite a lot of similarities with Studio One however so I believe I will stay where I am at the moment. Sonar has a good package though and can be the goto solution for whoever chooses it. I realize these courses are great but an added chat session would be real helpful for those just starting out(and maybe us oldsters as well).

Great program but then just about anytime you do these things it's well worth watching my friend

• Members

I haven't been able to try this great product yet. because my production computer is down (yes the windows 8.1 computer) Fortunately I have another computer with similar hardware and I can start to swap parts. Since this motherboard (ECS Black GF8200 WITH PHENOM QUAD) has been finnicky since the beginning, it is the most likely to be a problem, but before I replace it , I will try and swap the power supply and memory. If the mobo is really the problem, I HAVE TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8 AGAIN !! ARGHHHHH !

The Sonar files are safely copied to DVD media ....for now.

UPDATE: I need a new power supply. Software is installed now with a borrowed 350w power supply. Going to get 700-750 watt tomorrow.

DAN

• Members

Here is my first problem. "DreamStation DXi2 (Synth Rack)" plugin not available....So I was all ready to reinstall Sonar 2.0 to get this but from what I have read, the 64 bit of X3 won't allow me to use it anyway. So Craig, how can I easily remap to a new synth available in X3 and will all of my old software, such as my Kontak2 ,Proteus and Bitheadz stuff be worthless here unless I re-install the X3 32 bit version ????

Thanks in advance

Dan

• Members
Ok so I'm not at home now...only 200 miles away....still curious....possible to install both 32 an 64 bit versions on same machine? Dan

I don't, but other people do. This was actually quite common before Propellerheads had a 64-bit ReWire library.

Archived