New BITWIG STUDIO. Promising? Not so much? What say YOU?

• Members
Since we're on this topic' date=' what exactly does "Scripting" do in the MIDI/Audio environment? Have you ever written scripts for your DAW? Why, exactly, and what was your goal?[/quote']

Since Bitwig Studio is programmed with Java(the GUI) and uses Javascript(which is unrelated to Java) a scripted language which in turn makes it possible to manipulate the application through an understanding of that Language. In other words it opens the application to customization at least for external controllers.

Java opens the platform to the three major OS's Windows, Apple OSX and Linux. While this is a novel approach it is also prone to the pitfalls of Java such as some people disable the Java Console which may cause trouble to an Application relying on it which may or may not be the case with Bitwig Studio plus Java is updated on a fairly regular basis but NOT automatically on everyone's systems. I have elected to wait and see as far as Bitwig is concerned and there is nothing there that I don't have already to entice me to let loose of 389 dollars.

• Members

Yeah, at this point I avoid Java like the plague. I won't put it on my Win7 machine. Maybe it's less of a security threat on Unix but I finally removed it from my old XP machine after a number of problems and signs from Oracle that, as with Adobe and Flash, the new owners were allowing the franchise to be continually compromised on the security front.

It's not so much the language that concerns me -- it's the Oracle-maintained JVM engine, which has had a poor security history.

• Members

Java is used for the GUI, which is a 32-bit app, the GUI, while the critical audio parts are probably written in C i think. The scripting used there is Javascript, not the same thing as Java, and that API is only used for scripting controllers afaik, not for the application like Reaper or Vegas.

• Members
Java is used for the GUI' date=' which is a 32-bit app, the GUI, while the critical audio parts are probably written in C i think. The scripting used there is Javascript, not the same thing as Java, and that API is only used for scripting controllers afaik, not for the application like Reaper or Vegas.[/quote']

Thanks for the clarification Lawrence, I knew that they used Java to get the platform across the 3 OS's however your correct the scripting is Javascript which is unrelated but at least allows for some customization however limited, but even if it is only the GUI would that also require Java to be on the resident machine?

I'm glad your there to keep me in line my friend.( I also edited my original post to reflect your correction)

• Members

Scripting a DAW's behavior sounds exciting... something I've never tried, and wouldn't know how to begin deploying... I'm guessing that the commands you give the DAW are "scripted" already, automatically, and one can just "refine" the scripts to make them happen more smoothly?

• Members

Scripting in a DAW can be very powerful. CT Stump, another fellow and i did some third party hacking in Studio One but having a built in script engine would be better. It has Javascript going on in the background but it's not exposed via an API yet. The best examples of the power of scripting are probably Vegas and Reaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived