My photograph with Smithsonian.com

• Members

I thought I'd share with you peeps. I've been selected as one of the top ten finalists in the Travel category for Smithsonian Magazine's website!!!!

"On behalf of Smithsonian.com, I am pleased to inform you that you are one of the top ten finalists in the Travel category of our 11th Annual Photo Contest. Your photograph of the sculpture garden in Borrego Springs was one of the best of more than 50,000 entries we received from all over the world."

We'll see how much farther it gets!

3034_kenlee_borregospringsnightsky-scorpiongrasshoppermilkyway.jpg

• Members

Thank you very much for your kind words, everyone! Smithsonian is a fantastic organization and magazine, so it would really be an honor to win one of the categories or the grand prize. But anyway, thank you so much for your flattering words and encouragement!!!

I am going to be giving a photography workshop on star trails and light painting in Borrego Springs next weekend, and am really looking forward to that. Now that photography and music take up about equal amounts of time, I am constantly swimming in creativity. Very very busy, but pretty great!!!!

• Members

Thanks, EB!

I taught a Star Trails and Light Painting Workshop in Borrego Springs over the weekend. Went really really well, and it was a lot of fun. It was a bit challenging in that it's basically two workshops in one, and there was a lot of material to cover, but I managed to break it down to its essence and cover some of the technical and approaches to composition without getting bogged down in jargon or math.

The first part was the workshop, which was held at Borrego Art Institute. That's where we discussed star trails, how to focus at night, light painting techniques, composition, etc. The second part was out in the field, practicing the photography. We shot these amazing sculptures by Ricardo Breceda. I'll include some photos of sculptures I've shot here, although it wasn't in the same evening.

• Members

The photo is now one of the finalists for the Smithsonian.com 11th Annual Photo Contest Finalists, one of 60 selected from over 50,000. This is for the Reader's Choice winner. Please vote for mine in the Travel Category if you are so inclined!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/photo-contest-finalists-11th-annual-180950372/?no-ist

Archived