Korg modular synth for $159

• Members

This looks like it could be super cool. It uses the same filter as the MS-20. I have one of those, the original, and I can tell you that it's a glorious sounding filter. And the whole idea of having a modular synth that snaps together with magnets seems super cool.

That's really cool! philthumb

From that site:

Why does KORG keep doing this cool stuff? I talked to Tadahiko a bit about where the motivation to do this at KORG originates. He spoke really passionately about the desire to do “interesting” things – that all the way to the top, chief Kato Seiki makes doing interesting things, things that make customers happy, comes first, even before business considerations.

Seems to me that doing things that the customers are interested in and that make the customers happy is a very good way to do business. :)

• Members

Well, they are doing a great job of listening (plus I think Tadahiko is probably just plain cool and totally into it). Customers love analog synths. There has been quite an uptick in modular analog synths, analog synths (all the Moog stuff, MiniBrute, and on and on), and vintage analog synths. Why? They sound great, and anybody who tells you that an analog emulation plugin sounds just like an analog synth has never played an analog synth. It doesn't sound the same, it doesn't have the same complexity, and it sure as hell doesn't play or feel the same! People want to physically do things and get that amazing sound. And Korg, Moog and others are listening.

• Members

Yeah, I'm loving this totally unexpected resurgence in excellent analog hardware coming out at such affordable prices.

The prices on new units is also having the effect of driving down the prices on some of the older, used analog gear, too. Which ain't so good if you're trying to sell that old unit to cover the rent. A buyer's market.

nat whilk ii

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I went in on a present with someone else, buying this for my friend. Holy CRUD...it sounds GREAT. This is not a toy. It "snaps" together like a toy, with the magnets and all (these are not the most robust connections, so you need to have it on a flat surface and not accidentally flick it or hit it), but put these through the studio monitors or a keyboard amp and WOW!!!! It has a delay, a tiny tiny keyboard, a sequencer, a mixer, and I can't remember what else. It sounds huge, warm, complex, and juicy...analog just the way the universe intended. :D

• Members

Looks like it could use some kind of breadboard to mount the modules on.

Some flat surface that locks the modules in place by just snapping them in place like a Lego block so the connectors don't get damaged.

• Members

It's not so much that the connectors will get damaged - not the magnetic connections anyway - but that they come apart very easily. The one connector that might be the exception to this would be the 1/8" output that goes to any larger speaker that you might want to have. It comes with a tiny speaker that connects via the magnet, but if you want the sound to come out an amp or something else, well, it's 1/8" and is a little bit finicky.

I love this and strongly recommend it. But if I had to make recommendations based on one time messing around with it, it would be stronger magnets and a stronger 1/4" output. That aside, I freakin' *love* this thing.

It's fun, innovative, sounds fantastic, is easy to use, is a great way to learn about signal flow and synthesis, and is absurdly cheap.

Archived