SSS Prod Squad? Help?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I hope this is OK, Craig. Since this has worked so well for you, I'd love some input from "the squad". But it's your forum so let me know if not kosher. 

Changes I've made offline already but not reflected in this mix, I've eq'ed the mandolin doubling the piano in the solo so you can actually hear a mandolin there. And... I've cleaned up that same piano/mando melody over the out chorus so the clashes aren't there anymore as well as brought level down on those when there's a vocal. So...

Ideas? Fixes? What? Warning: VERY POP

• Members

I can't play it on these Bose computer speakers real loud right now because my girlfriend has gone to sleep already (while I'm up late taking long exposure photos in this most exotic of locales this evening....my back yard! :D ). The Bose speakers are surprisingly good sounding for how small they are, and on them your mix really sounds great. I've always like your mixes and general sensibility toward mixing in general. And while I'm not the biggest pop fan, I should say that the song is really quite appealing.

This isn't an issue with me at all. If I were mixing this, I would want this to come out basically how you have it right now. I would probably try and see if I could sneak in a sort of subtle delay on the vocals to create a slight "bounce" and sense of expansiveness and see if it works. I'd be curious to hear how that sounds here. Aside from that, I can't think of anything sonically that would improve this. It sounds great.

• Members

Here ya go, Lee. Happy to return the favor :)

Needs mastering, a slight drop around 300Hz will make the vibe crisper.

I’d trash the drums up a little more with some room ambience so they don’t sound so close-miked. They need to sit back in the mix but not in terms of level, just positioning. If you don’t have room mics, do my “four short delays with prime numbers” (13, 17, 23, 29ms) room construction technique.

At 0:33 the song changes quite a bit in terms of arrangement. Double the vocal and it will provide a connection between the solo voice up to that point and the harmony that follows.

Also 0:33 to 0:43 (and more importantly, 1:48 to 1:58), needs a sparser drum part that holds back a little bit...I’d do a four-on-the-floor kick with a more interesting hi-hat pattern, more minimal. Then when the song comes back in, there will be more contrast. You get it right in the "Wallflower" section...nice variation.

At 1:15, extend the two measure guitar break to four measures. Start the break with a single cymbal crash, take out the tambourine, and leave the snare drum figure at the end of the second measure by no more drums until a lead-in to the next section at the end of the fourth measure.

On the outro starting at 3:08, some almost country-ish, single-coil, melodic, clean guitar leads punctuating the vocals would add that final piece of ear candy.

• Members

That's a solid, fun song Lee! While I don't have the production creds to counter or add to the more astute squad members like Craig, I know what I like and I like this!

You put the "Very Pop" disclaimer/warning on it...IMHO..Take out the piano and mandolin entirely, replace them with beefed up, fat toned guitar runs instead, do what Craig said with the drums, and then..

It ain't a Pop song anymore...It's as solid a rock song as I've heard anywhere...Just my opinion, the song is fine just like it is as well.

• Moderators

AlamoJoe wrote:

That's a solid, fun song Lee! While I don't have the production creds to counter or add to the more astute squad members like Craig, I know what I like and I like this!

You put the "Very Pop" disclaimer/warning on it...IMHO..Take out the piano and mandolin entirely, replace them with beefed up, fat toned guitar runs instead, do what Craig said with the drums, and then..

It ain't a Pop song anymore...It's as solid a rock song as I've heard anywhere...Just my opinion, the song is fine just like it is as well.

Thanks Joe!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thanks, Folder! Yeah, I've been swamped at work but have applied almost all the suggestions from both here and over a the songwriting forum. I just haven't had a chance to change a lyric or two based on some input over at Songwriting. Thanks for that comment. I'll have it in the next couple days...

Archived