Lord, I figured out "phase", and how.

rasputin1963

• Members

I had two tracks,   each with its own drum-riff.    Hell,  they sounded fine to me,  in playback.

But then I did a phase analysis,   and zapped them into correct phase.

WOW!!!    What a huge difference--- suddenly both tracks sounded clearer,  cleaner and brighter.    I never dreamed that bad phase relationships could dampen/muffle   (remove higher frequencies)  as badly as it did.   Like the story of Plato's cave,  you just don't know what "bad" is 'til you've heard "good".

This is a little milestone in my audio learning.  I'm tryin' to learn all this stuff so I can (attempt to) keep up with you guys.

ras

• CMS Author

rasputin1963 wrote:

I had two tracks,   each with its own drum-riff.    Hell,  they sounded fine to me,  in playback.

But then I did a phase analysis,   and zapped them into correct phase.

WOW!!!    What a huge difference--- suddenly both tracks sounded clearer,  cleaner and brighter.    I never dreamed that bad phase relationships could dampen/muffle   (remove higher frequencies)  as badly as it did. 

I don't understand what you had or what you did. What's a "phase analysis?" If you had recorded two tracks with different riffs, I suppose it's possible that you hit the same drum at the same time on each track at some at some times during the song, but that might put just those hits out of phase enough to notice.

I'd like to know how you analyzed this, and just what you did to fix it.

• Moderators

AlamoJoe wrote:

Ok, You guya are givin' this dumass a headache. You mike yer **** your **** up, you record it...If the song is solid....How can you mess up?

Just askin'

Yall the professors.

Feel me?

You can make a solid song sound like crap by recording it poorly.  And one way to record it poorly is to have multiple mics open at different distances and then trying to mix those tracks together.  It's the classic small studio sound, the sound of too close reflections from multiple sources.   It's comb filtering caused by the same sound arriving at different times in different mics.

It's very hard to fix acoustically in a small space.  

Terry D.

Archived