best singer ever

ansleycargill

• Members

Despite the question and the possibility of a troll, I'm gonna try and answer this just because.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan might be the greatest singer of all time, and when he ventures into more pop, it's phenomenal, and technically and emotionally, he'd be really hard to beat. He basically introduced Sufi devotional singing of Qawwali to an international audience and sang with unbelievable charisma, intensity,  andemotional and spiritual fervor, whipping ecstatic audiences into a frenzy. He was listed as one of CNN's most iconic singers in the last 50 years, NPR's Greatest Voices List, Time Magazine's top 12 artists and thinkers in the last 60 years, contributed massively to cinematic music, worked with one of the greatest composers of our time, A.R. Rahman, and influenced artists from Peter Gabriel to Jeff Buckley to Sheila Chandra and beyond.

Michael Jackson might be one of the most popular and recognizable singers of all time. I'll assume that, as most people are Westerners here, you'll realize his impact, but I will say that I have been to twenty countries, and everywhere I've gone, people know him and his music, even in extremely rural parts.

It'd be difficult to overstate the popularity of Umm Kulthum. When she died, millions of people poured out their grief by attending her funeral, and that's a popularity and love that would be difficult to match. From Bono to Youssou N'Dour to Maria Callas, she's had significant impact on singers who came after her.

• Members

My apologies for not knowing how to embed the video but I had to throw in my 2 cents.

Up there with the best pop music of the 20th century for me is Al Hibbler when singing with Duke Ellington.

Here are a couple of examples:

Al Hibbler / Duke Ellington

(Old Man River)

http://youtu.be/aKGjgWAQaUY (Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me)

And Solomon Burke just for good measure:

(Cry To Me - Solomon Burke)

• Members

ansleycargill wrote:

Hello guy's,,

I am ansley and I love pop music, so please sugget me best pop singer in a worl'd?

The invading miscreant's question is answerable only by taking one answer from every person that chooses to respond to it. It's all subjective, and all depends on personal taste. Arguably, it would have to be some opera singer. Someone with complete command and discipline over their own voice, but confined to their voices range.

What we like, dig, love about singers usually has more to do with the impact that singers work has on us personally.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question Grasshopper....

• Members

AlamoJoe wrote:

ansleycargill wrote:

Hello guy's,,

I am ansley and I love pop music, so please sugget me best pop singer in a worl'd?

The invading miscreant's question is answerable only by taking one answer from every person that chooses to respond to it. It's all subjective, and all depends on personal taste. Arguably, it would have to be some opera singer. Someone with complete command and discipline over their own voice, but confined to their voices range.

What we
like, dig, love
about singers usually has more to do with the
impact
that singers work has on us personally.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question Grasshopper....

And, then, for guys like me, every possible answer just suggests three more just as deserving...

Archived