"Only $1400" for a kit......ARE YOU KIDDING?

techristian

• Members

"Only $1400" for a kit......ARE YOU KIDDING? And how many patches can you create with only 3 patch cords?? $600 would be more reasonable for this product. Even though this isn't a kit where you solder all of the components, there are still many opportunities to screw it up. I'll just mention one from my early PAiA kit days. It is REAL EASY to scratch up the instrument panel while installing all of those nuts on the 1/4" jacks.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/23/korg-ms-20-kit/

Dan

• Members

Okey-dokey. I buillt my first electronics kit stuff back in the very early 60's but I am pretty certain that I have never run across an electronics DIY kit that was more -- substantially more -- than twice as much as the store price of the put-together device. (You can get them for  $600 at music superstores and they list for ~$720.)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS20mini

Maybe if it was the original full size instead of the mini form factor of the re-release (but probably not even then).

I really don't get this.   photo xeye.gif

• Members

But the Mini is just that, Mini. I really don't want to be adapting to different size keys in my multiple synth rig. And $1400, as an absolute number, is not at all bad for a synth of this capability. The only instruments in my rig which were (a little) cheaper are the two Waldorf Blofeld Keyboards, everything else was a lot more. $1400 is a great price point; I'd say $2200 wouldn't be out of line.

I'm planning to get one of these. I've had my eye on the Mini for a long time, but couldn't get over the small keys -- and the smaller panel, which would be harder to read on stage. So I have to assemble it -- not a big deal for me at all.

And you don't create patches with just the cords. That's what knobs and switches are for. My Minimoog has no patch cords at all.

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

Okey-dokey. I buillt my first electronics kit stuff back in the very early 60's but I am pretty certain that I have
n
ever
run across an electronics DIY kit that was more -- substantially more -- than twice as much as the store price of the put-together device. (You can get them for  $600 at music superstores and they list for ~$720.)

Maybe if it was the original full size instead of the mini form factor of the re-release (but probably not even then).

I really don't get this. 
 photo xeye.gif

The kit is the full-sized version and is the same as the original MS-20 except for the usual modern variations (USB, MIDI), and is a "kit", but just barely....it requires no soldering or wiring.

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

Well, if you don't like $1,400, how about $159. The synth prototyping kit from LittleBits doesn't have much of a keyboard and no MIDI interface, but it has an MKS-20 style filter, whatever that means, and Korg is a Kollaboartor on the project.

Dood.  Dood! That's really interesting. They basically just snap together, all simple and stuff. Interesting idea they're on to...and it has a vote of confidence from Brian Eno!

• Members

mcmike100 wrote:

I built this organ when I was 15. It didn't snap together. It was all discrete transisters, resistors, capacitors, etc.

HeathJag.jpg

Well now I've heard of someone in the world who put together one of these besides myself!  I was 14.  

And it was a big job - every single diode, capacitor, resistor, transistor, had to be identified, inserted, clipped, and soldered.  Twelve circuit boards plus another one for the bass if I recall correctly.  Had to tune the thing by hand - there was a little special tool that turned a screw on each board to set the pitch.  They gave you A440 or maybe it was middle C - but from there you tuned by listening for the beats.  

This is a photo of the guts of the Continental, not the Jaguar, but they were very similar, and the picture jives with my memory of how the Jaguar looked - we're talking LOTS of components.

Voxcontinentalinternals.jpg

Big buss of cables ran along behind the circuit boards.  And for the keyboard, you had to put a little dollop of goop they provided on the contact point for each key.  

I didn't really learn much about electronics, but I was a soldering whiz before it was done.   I'll never forget the suspenseful moment of turning it on for the first time - will it work?  catch on fire?  And mine made no sound on the first try - then I suddenly remembered I had neglected to put the fuse in.  Did that, and it worked perfectly.  

Immediately I got to work on Light My Fire, Inna-Gadda-Da-Vidda, 96 Tears, House of the Rising Sun, Summer in the City, etc. 

I did not have that cool looking amp that Heathkit paired with the organ. I did end up with a good amp, but I've forgotten the make.

Unfortunately, after a couple of years, I was totally sold on the B-3 sound and the Vox sound was soon to be passe.  Never could afford a B-3 and Leslies.

Now I just crank up Native Instrument's B4 or Vintage Organs to get that old vibe back.  

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Some posts got deleted here? As per index, my last post was 3-4-2014
Last I knew all past posts were supposed to be restored by the 14th but they've since run into MEGA problems just getting this software stable. Seems that they have that under control now :) but I haven't seen an update on getting all the past posts restored and searchable?

EDIT> The FAQ is out-of-date with the "Tech Updates" at http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/ .

• Members

That kits just a basic assembly of the boards and box. I'm not sure it qualifies as being a kit because there's no soldering involved from what I can see.

If you were soldering all the components in I could see it being a challenge but it doesn't take much knowhow to screw a few boards to a panel and

plug in the connectors. Putting a bike together or one of those particle board desks can be more challenging when you come down to it.

• 2 months later...

Archived