Someone has to ask - Hoover - does it suck?

So the other day, I had a client come in just as I was finishing doing the vacuuming, and he asked me about the studio vac... we just got a new one. It's a Dirt Devil, and it's replacing an old Hoover.... and this dood was going on and on about what a mistake we were making by replacing the old vintage Hoover.

Which brings up the eternal question... Hoovers - do they suck?

Did I make a mistake?

(Sorry Tedster. :p:D)

• Members

We have a used Kirby (If we'd only known how much carpet was going to be torn out of our house I think we'd have skipped it. Bought it, in part, for the shampooing capability.) and a Rigid shop vac my bro gave me last Christmas.

The shop vac rawks. I'm not sure what we're going to do with the Kirby. :confused:

Hoover will continue to suck until there are no vacuums! Long live Hoover.

(I grew up with a Hoover upright. I loved watching, as I vac'd, for the little "flag" to pop up indicating the bad was full. :D

It was about the ugliest gray and salmon colors I can imagine. Guess that was an anti-theft feature. :D )

• Members

Originally posted by KB Gunn

Nothing sucks better than a Dyson. It is the only one that has not blown up or caught on fire when my wife uses it. Dyson invented the bagless and nobody does it better.

Not quite! Dyson most certainly did not invent the bagless. (Despite his claims to having done so.) He may have invented the bagless/filterless upright.

Filter Queen held patents on cyclonic action for a bagless vacuum decades before Dyson. As in before he was born. They still sell versions called the Filter Queen Majestic, door to door.

The main difference is the Majestic uses a better than hepa filter over the motor. They cost a lot more than Dyson, but along with Rainbow (who use water as the filter), were well worth the expense because they never lost suction and could even be used as strong (if noisy) air filters systems.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

AAAGGGHHH!!!!

Well, geez, this thread has entirely new potential over here, huh?

Are you talking analog Hoovers, or digital Hoovers? If digital, what sort of converters are you using?

or a digital/ analog hybrid?

"what the..."

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Nothing sucks better than a Dyson. It is the only one that has not blown up or caught on fire when my wife uses it. Dyson invented the bagless and nobody does it better.

I don't know who invented the bagless and don't care. Dyson perfected it. Never loses suction, even when the container is full.

Dyson is suck.

• Members

So the other day, I had a client come in just as I was finishing doing the vacuuming, and he asked me about the studio vac... we just got a new one. It's a Dirt Devil, and it's replacing an old Hoover.... and this dood was going on and on about what a mistake we were making by replacing the old vintage Hoover.

Did I make a mistake?

(Sorry Tedster.
:p:D
)

As a renter, I suffered through a seemingly endless variety of misbegotten cannisters and the occasional upright, sometimes they came with the apartment (ah the good ol' days, refrigerators, stoves, even vacs, not to mention blinds and curtains) and sometimes they were hand me downs from friends. When I bought my house -- and my old apartment was being torn down, coincidentally -- the landlord gave me the vacuum that had been in the closet when I moved in... it had always done yeoman work but it was old -- at least 20 years. It was a Hoover. I replaced a couple belts over the years but the motor finally gave out.

That was around 1989. I bought another Hoover, the same basic design -- figuring it was tried and true.

It's still running strong -- after sucking up probably several tons of cat hair and going through a few drive belts and countless paper dust bags.

When I moved into my current (small, beachside) apartment, my mom decided I needed a smaller vac for the little jobs and bought me a Dirt Devil mini-vac (about two feet long with a short hose that's good for just about nothing).

It can't pick up anything. It's almost as loud as my Hoover. The cord is probably twice as long as the Hoover's generous-length power cord -- making it a total pain to deal with.

But -- bottom line -- it is utterly worthless as a vacuum.

The good side -- since it never picks up anything you never have to empty it.

PS... I wish I could tell you that because Hoover made a good upright in the late 80s that you could be assured they still do... but obviously, that might well be a foolish assumption. Hoover's management had some upheavals. Their British division almost bankrupted itself some years ago with one of the stupidest promo giveaways of all time (buy a vacuum -- get a one way plane ticket to the US -- they figured only one in a thousand would take them up on it. They were very, very wrong).

• Members

Did I make a mistake?

(Sorry Tedster.
:p:D
)

wolfman.jpg

AND NOW ANOTHER BIG BLLLLLASSSST FROM THE PAST RIGHT HERE ON YOUR FAVORITE RADIO STATION!!!!!

:D

• Members

well, my Dad, in his 90's, uses an upright vacuum that he inherited from his parents; must be 70-80 years old. Metal body with a bag on the handle; has a headlight (no backup lights though). It'll suck the pattern off the carpet. Not a Hoover, might be Kirby. He showed me the (pristine) manual that came with it. Had all kinds of attachments you could get to turn it into a shampoo'er, dry cleaner, some sort of roto-rooter, power tools. Cracked me up. And guaranteed forever; they'd even give you a guaranteed repair price if your house burned down and took the cleaner with it; something like $14.95.

But the main thing is, it still works..!!! You'd have to spend a million dollars to buy an applicance now that would work in 70 years. Drives me nuts to spend $100 bucks on something, then some crappy plastic part breaks and you have to buy another. Good for the company, bad for my sanity.

Come to think of it, we have an old Electrolux at the shore; it's older than me too. something wrong there.

wasnt this a huge MP thread way back when?

Yeah, one of the classics. I started a new version of it here in 2005, and it never took off - you could say "failed miserably". :D

For some reason, someone (coughstranger) bumped it. :)

Since my last post, I'm still using the Dirt Devil in the studio. The wife talked me into buying her a (IMHO) overpriced Kirby for the house. Still have the vintage Hoover too. Did some minor repairs and now it probably sucks more than either of the other two. ;)

Archived