Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are guitars inherently more expressive than Keyboards?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are guitars inherently more expressive than Keyboards?

Got the idea for this topic from an editorial by Paul White in Sound on Sound magazine. I won't prejudice your thinking by quoting what he said...but does the ability to massage strings on a guitar beat being able hit keys on a keyboard? Or maybe a sax is even more expressive than both...

Any opnions?
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Originally posted by Anderton
    does the ability to massage strings on a guitar beat being able hit keys on a keyboard?

yes. Any other question ?
    ( 1st MOTGLHC )
    Click these :
    ( o )( o )

Originally posted by lawboy
    Brikus, that's some of the funniest stuff I have ever read. Kudos my brother. There will now be an honorary Trollie Award each year named in honor of you and that thread, called the Open G Piano Award.

Originally posted by soup in a Petra Nemcova VS Josie Maran thread :
    The only real winner in this thread is my weewee.

non-br00tz

Comment

Seems like a good time to pop up from the keys forum and chime in... I think it really, really depends on who's playing the guitar and keyboard, respectively. You could say that the guitar is maybe inherently more expressive, since a guitar doesn't require hours of programming. But with some good synth programming and decent use of aftertouch, mod wheel, control pedal and maybe breath control, combined with excellent playing technique, I would say keyboards can be as expressive as an any "analog" instrument if you get the drift...
      Cubase SX 3 | Wavelab 6 | NI Komplete 3
      1 x AMD Opteron 270 | 2 Gb Corsair CMX1024RE
      Lexicon Omega USB | ADAM S1A Monitors

Comment

No.

How expressive either instrument is will depend on the talent of the person playing it.

I have been told that I can be equally expressive on my guitar or my organ.
        "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

Guitars are more expressive.

If a child hits a key it sounds the same as Jan Hammer hitting a key.

That's not true of a guitar
          >deluxerecordings> .....coming soon

In the meantime.....here are some old songs

Oh...and you can watch this too if you like...

Comment

Or Richard Clayderman
            >deluxerecordings> .....coming soon

In the meantime.....here are some old songs

Oh...and you can watch this too if you like...

Comment

Depends on who's behind it, but often guitars are easier to express emotions as you can bend strings etc...but that's coming from a guitarist
              That's cool.

http://mindofsimontaylor.blogspot.com
              http://www.myspace.com/simtaylorsspace
              HCGJ TRIAD MEMBER - GO-TO GUY

Comment

A big greasy Hammond with a leslie attached in the hands of a master can floor me every time.

Comment

To me, each instrument has its own virtues and limitations. For the ability to play both accompaniment and melody at the same time, it's hard to beat a keyboard, although it's possible to do on guitar, it's arguably more difficult.

Wind instruments, although expressive, lack the ability to play chords (unless you're talking bagpipes or harmonicas)

Everything's a tradeoff...(shrug)
                  My Space

Comment

As a guitarist, I can state unequivocably that I've never seen a guitar or a keyboard be expressive in the slightest. In fact, I think I would have been spooked if they began expressing anything. Probably something like, "Get OUT!!", or the like, right?

And, yes, it does sound different if a child hits Richard Clayderman, than if it is done by a classically trained adult.
                    ~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'****************e~
                    _ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Avoiding ghosts & U.F.O.'s can be a full-time job in itself...

Comment

Depends how old the child is, and how much he weighs.
                      "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

For me it's always gonna seem a guitar is more expressive. However now at this point in time I'm spending much less time playing guitar and more and more with keyboards I'm intrigued at how expressive one can get with a keyboard. Guitar expressive and keyboard expressive are two different realms.
                        William F. Turner
                        Songwriter - Composer
                        My Music
                        SSS Member Since December 2000

Sonar - My Other Favorite Forum

Sometimes the truth is rude.
                        Tough sh*t, get used to it.

Comment

No, they just are basic to pop music and define that genre best.
                          Free ******************** Riot!.

Comment

guitars offer more direct control over the timbral qualities of a single note.

that only entails "more expressive" in a limited sense.

Comment

Depends on the player; depends on the listener.

Being a guitar player, my initial reaction was "sure, guitar's definitely the more expressive of the two." Mainly because of the directness of the instrument. Your fingers are touching the strings DIRECTLY and you can do things like impart vibrato, bends and things which are tougher (or at least require some advance preparation) on keyboard instruments.

But then I think about this friend of mine who is a concert pianist. When she plays something like Tchaikovsky's Concerto #1 and I just instantly crap my pants. That is so unbelieveably expressive to me, even though it's the expression of someone else's music.

BTW, looks like I registered here at HC a coupla years ago. Who knew?
                              >>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

Working...
                              X