Behind the Glass- great read!!!!

Joe Cole

• Members

Late to the party as usual...I was away for two weeks and the forum moved! Oh well....

I bought a book for some vacation reading on the seashore, "Behind the Glass" by Howard Massey.

It is a great book filled with good production ideas and techniques from greats like George Martin, Brian Wilson, George Massenburg, Jack Douglas and others.

Any one else read it? Opinions?

• Members

Behind the Glass is a very good book, I have had it for at least 3-4 years now since it came out. Another you may consider since you liked that one is, Make Mine Music by Bruce Swedien.

One other I thoroughly enjoyed as well is "Temples of Sound" by Jim Cogan and William Clark. "Temples" is about the history of some studios, a must read IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley

Behind the Glass is a very good book, I have had it for at least 3-4 years now since it came out. Another you may consider since you liked that one is, Make Mine Music by Bruce Swedien.

One other I thoroughly enjoyed as well is "Temples of Sound" by Jim Cogan and William Clark. "Temples" is about the history of some studios, a must read IMO.

I will echo the recommendation of Make Mine Music by Bruce Swedien; I'm in the very final chapter and it's a great read with lots of techical advice.

• Members

Because it was released a few years back, there is not the in depth coverage of DAW usage. While all the concepts are transferable, it would be very cool to see how these icons have transitioned to a largely DAW world.

Their insights to how ProTools, Nuendo, Logic and others would be prove to be a very good read.

Archived