Thanks Craig! (30 years belated)

Joey Ace

• Members

Hi Craig,

Congrats on getting the board here!

and Congrats on the carear you've built.

Back in the early 70s, I was young rock guitarist and going to Electronics school (even earned a 1st Class FCC License.

Your first book might have just come out, and I followed your projects in GP.

I sent you a letter care of GP (my Internet connection must have been down :) ), I don't remember what it was about, but I do remember that you responded with a typewritten personal letter.

That was so cool, and I really appreciate that you took the time to do so. Thanks.

I've since been an Elec Tech, now a Computer Network guy, but still have a home studio, and keep active in local bands and sessions.

(Now I'm mainly a Steel Guitarist, but double on keys/guitar/mando/dobro.)

I'm also very active as a moderator on the best Steel Guitarist Board.

Thanks for touching my life.

Joey

www.JoeyAce.com

)

• Members

I'd like to thank Craig as well. I don't think I ever read the columns while running, but I've been a big fan of the books.

"Electronic Projects for Musicians" has been a mainstay on my bookshelf since I bought it almost 20 years ago. Lately I've used it, "Guitar Gadgets" and "Do It Yourself Projects for Guitarists" in a class I teach on the technical/engineering aspects of music.

Thanks Craig!

• Members

Hi,Craig.

Many moons ago, I used one of your wiring diagrams from GP to re-do my '72 Strat and I still use a variation of it. The series-parallel stuff was great, my favorite sound being the middle and bridge pickups in series.

Why Fender never incorporated this wiring scheme into their production guitars is a mystery. It certainly addresses a common complaint of Strats sounding "thin" compared to humbucker guitars, that's for sure.

i guess I should be glad they didnt though. A few of us can keep this great tone to ourselves. ;)

Anyway, welcome to HC.... this should be a really good forum.

PS-Oh, and your article (somewhere) about how to do 10 tracks on a 4 track using only one bounce per new take didnt go to waste either. Case you ever wondered...

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Joey Ace

When I designed my custom Tele, I used Push-Pull knobs. One does Series/Parallel, the other does Phase.

See it at

http://joeyace.com/Bender.htm

Thanks again, CA!

Those are nice. The next I get the energy to redo mine, I'm going to use Push-Pulls if I can get the wiring right.

Nice guitar collection,Joey. :cool:

• Members

Craig

I built your tube sound fuzz way back in the 70s. It was love at first stomp. I switched over to rhythym and loaned it to the kid who played lead. He loved it also and tried many times to buy it.

Thanks for putting your designs out there.

• Members

Hey well you're all very welcome! Too bad I haven't done much DIY lately but I've kind of said what I wanted to say...I have a few circuit ideas that never appeared though that were pretty cool, so maybe one of these days...

My "career" has zigged and zagged so many times! I love what I'm doing now, but am getting more and more into the visual arts so you never know what's going to happen next. There are so many great options in this world, I could live to be a 1000 and not even scratch the surface.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey Craig,

I think I wrote you a letter maybe seven years ago, sent to Electronic Projects for Musician's publisher, I never got a response. I don't even remember what I wrote you about, but I thought I would let you know in case those letters are still coming. It's cool that I can write to you any time I want now online.

I had a question about your CMOS bypass circuit from that book. I know that you made a deal in the book about input and output impedances (did I mention that I am a couple of classes away from a BS in physics with plans to go to grad school in EE?) and I am going to be tweaking your circuits. I encountered a problem using your bypass circuit with my wah-wah pedal because (I am guessing) the low value of the tie-down resistors are making a not-so-nice nice voltage divider.

Back to input/output impedances, I know that the input and output impedances of all of the effects in the book are 100 k and 10 k respectively, but I was wondering if the bypass circuit has it's own input and output imedance (I am trying to save the time of analyzing the circuit myself and I lost the book so I don't have a diagram to work with). The problem is that if I am using one effect in serial (we'll say an overdrive pedal) with a set of parrallel effects (say a bunch of phase shifters), the input impedance for the phase shifters will be low and must be fed by an equal or lower output impedance by the overdrive pedal. However, if the overdive is bypassed and is only hooked up to a passive guitar signal the output impedance from the guitar will be quite high.

Basically the bypass circuit while bypassed must have the same scheme of high input impedance / low output impedance or otherwise this scheme of feeding a bunch of parallel phase shifters isn't going to work. So does the bypass circuit affect the output impedance at all or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry I didn't answer you sooner, but I just moved to New Mexico and haven't unpacked any books yet...and won't until I get some shelves built. Also, I need to know which edition of the book you're referring to...there were some changes between "version 1.0" and "version 2.0" and these affect the CMOS switch. If you could provide the publication date and what's on the cover, that would help.

I'm sure I can search the net and find the schematic, I'm sure someone ripped it off somewhere :)

Archived