RIP Ted Greene

GeorgeVW

• Members

Just got word last night that Ted Greene, author of Modern Chord Progressions, Chord Chemistry, two books on Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing and long time Guitar Player columnist passed away. No details yet, but I'm majorly bummed. I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to have been able to do a little study (it was never enough, as Ted always had more to pass along) with him, and in addition to being a great teacher who really cared about nothing more than passing along the knowledge, he was one of the nicest guys i've ever known. I'll treasure the time that I spent talking with him and picking from his vast store of knowledge of all things having to do with guitar, and miss him a great deal. Ted was also one of the finest guitarists I ever heard in any style. His 1977 record, "Solo Guitar", was just remastered and released on CD earlier this year, and if you're at all interested in chord style solo jazz guitar, you need to check it out."Solo Guitar"

• Members

Originally posted by bdemon

I just did a Google search on this and couldn't find anything. For real? Very sad if it is. With the time I spent studying his books, I considered him one of my best teachers.
:(

Got a call late last night from a mutual friend and fellow student of Ted's letting me know. As I said, no details yet.

• Members

Very sad news indeed. :(

I bought "Chord Chemistry" about 15 years ago and it is the most helpful instructional resource I've ever come across -- humbling, intimidating, challenging and inspiring at the same time. It changed my whole way of thinking about the guitar and its possiblities. I pull it out about 5 times a year and realize how little I know. Thank you, Mr. Greene.

• Members

This is for real then? I saw it posted somewhere else and I thought about all those zillions of chords and extensions and stuff in my Ted Greene chord books...Thanks for takin the time to stop by Ted ! We'll see ya! :cool:

Archived