Advice on Guitar Tone

Deny

• Members

I've read the sticky SSS welcome post, so let's see if you guys can help me tweak my gear to get some of the guitar tones I've been after for a long, long time:

. Jeff Beck on "People get ready", both clean and lead. Of course a lot of it comes from his fingers, still I feel there's a midrangey character that's a tad beyond the typical strat (P.U. selector on the 4th pos.) + amp setup.

. Nuno Bettencourt on "Stop the world" (lead), a slightly mid-scooped strat sound with little drive and lots of sustain.

My current setup is:

Fender Am. Deluxe "V" Neck (SCN pickups, S1 switch)

->

parallel Mesa Triaxis (Rocktron Intellifex in loop) + Marshall JMP-1 (Lexicon MPX1 in loop)

->

Mixer

->

Laney VC-100 combo with EV style speakers (a lot less breakup than vintage ones).

Notes:

1. Input ground issues and phase inversion issues on the Triaxis + JMP-1 parallel conections have been taken care of, so it sounds right with very little noise.

2. Tube 2 on the Triaxis has been replaced with a NOS GE 5751 to reduce gain.

If you know how to get close to those tones using something else please share your knowledge, I'll try to adapt it to my setup. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by wdeny

If you know how to get close to those tones using something else please share your knowledge.

Get hair samples from both, and make a combo clone. Name him Bettinbeck.

Hopefully he won't be an asshole like Nuno is....perhaps you can alter the DNA to avoid that.

• Members

I heard a rumor that the BFD virtual drummer folks are coming out with a product called BFG...

From what I hear it can be used in plug-in mode, standalone, or an new mode: fallingdownloaded. More details are promised on the last. You can also dial in variables like how out of tune the virtual guitarist is, how far past the mark he makes his bends, and how many virtual groupies he brings to the session.

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

I would think the
People Get Ready
lead tone, if not all the guitar parts would be a Tele. Sounds like it, to me, and Jeff is certainly known to play Tele's.

I don't think you can do the flutter thing he does on the solo without a trem, that's why I think it's a strat. But I could be wrong - it's Jeff Beck, so I guess anything is possible.

• Members
Originally posted by wdeny

I don't think you can do the flutter thing he does on the solo without a trem, that's why I think it's a strat. But I could be wrong - it's Jeff Beck, so I guess anything is possible.

I think you may be right about that.

• Members

Don't know for sure, but a lot of Jeff Beck's tone reminds me of sounds I get when I put filtering BEFORE distortion so that some notes go into distortion sooner than others. A bit of a midrange peak makes those notes "stand out" but when you play higher or lower notes, they sound cleaner.

Although I think Jeff Beck could play any guitar through any amp and it would still sound the same :)

• Members

Hey folks,

I wrote an article on guitar tone that may be of interest to you. Just so you know, I represent a boutique amp company, so the article has a bias to it. But it may help you think about areas in your setup where you can improve your tone.

http://michaellewismusic.com/fuchs/news.html

Hope it helps!

Michael Lewis

Nashville, TN

:cool:

• Members

Thanks Session, that was worth reading... :)

I'm rediscovering all this, since uplugging my pedal board. I'm still deciding whether to try using it set up as individual pedals instead of patches, or to buy a couple of pedals of effects I may actually use and just use the OD channels on the amp (Marshall Valvestate) for the distortion...

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Don't know for sure, but a lot of Jeff Beck's tone reminds me of sounds I get when I put filtering BEFORE distortion so that some notes go into distortion sooner than others. A bit of a midrange peak makes those notes "stand out" but when you play higher or lower notes, they sound cleaner.

Although I think Jeff Beck could play any guitar through any amp and it would still sound the same
:)

My feelings exactly; I've read somewhere he uses a custom wah pedal, could that be it? Maybe it has a mod that makes the effect a little less pronounced... like a direct/wah blend pot for instance, who knows.

Update: Just found this, take a look at the "who's using it" list:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/crybaby/products/535q/index.html

• Members

And the search goes on:

So, how does Jeff get that sound? Some massive effects rack right? Wrong, this is it. A Pro-Co Rat into an A/B switch which feeds either a 50W MKII Marshall or a '59 Reissue Bassman (which he doesn't use much), he also has onstage matching backup rigs. Delays/echos are added at the mixing board. I asked Andy Roberts, 'How does he do it?' Andy put his hand over his heart and said, 'It all comes from here.' Later in the tour he added a Boss Chorus to this setup and used it really only on "People Get Ready".

http://www.ainian.com/pix.html

dw3.jpg

Hey! My Am.DLX looks exactly like this, what an honor :D

ams1.jpg

Archived