The Real Difference Between The OJ and The SSS.....

TheWewus

• Members

is the ratio of professional, semi-professional musicans, engineers, producers, singers, what have you to amateurs.

Amateurs have always, always been welcome in The SSS, and always will be, and there are many, but here's the secret.....don't tell anybody. There's a lot of famous, semifamous, professional and semi-professional people in the music business who hang out at The SSS. If you hang out there long enough you can pick their minds, and get their advice, and get their take on life too.

There's people on The SSS who have played in 60's bands, produced platinum albums, played with and known everyone from Count Basie to Michael Jackson to..... I don't even know who.

I don't see a lot of those people in The OJ. Maybe they're there. I don't think so.

Sorry if that sounds elitist but it's the truth. I've met and become friends with some of the best musicians I've ever met in my life on The SSS. Bunny Knutson, Phil O'keefe, Lee Flier, Craig Anderton, Erik Kaplan, and many other people, are not just sources of invaluable information to me, they are people that I think of as friends. True story.

• Members
Originally posted by TheWewus

is the ratio of professional, semi-professional musicans, engineers, producers, singers, what have you to amateurs.

Amateurs have always, always been welcome in The SSS, and always will be, and there are many, but here's the secret.....don't tell anybody. There's a lot of famous, semifamous, professional and semi-professional people in the music business who hang out at The SSS. If you hang out there long enough you can pick their minds, and get their advice, and get their take on life too.

There's people on The SSS who have played in 60's bands, produced platinum albums, played with and known everyone from Count Basie to Michael Jackson to..... I don't even know who.

I don't see a lot of those people in The OJ. Maybe they're there. I don't think so.

Sorry if that sounds elitist but it's the truth. I've met and become friends with some of the best musicians I've ever met in my life on The SSS. Bunny Knutson, Phil O'keefe, Lee Flier, Craig Anderton, Erik Kaplan, and many other people, are not just sources of invaluable information to me, they are people that I think of as friends. True story.

Wow, I'm so proud of you and your elitist forum :rolleyes: It's too bad OJ is an off topic forum and this isn't, therefore rendering your comparison completely meaningless.

• Members

Well, that's not true.

The SSS is changing, due in part to the very existence of OJ on the same site.

The SSS was the open forum of MP's lineup. In fact, Craig always encouraged that. If I may paraphrase him, "Music isn't created in a vacuum. All the experiences of our membership are relevant in shaping how we make music and the music we make." Especially after 9/11, the SSS was haven for all manner of subjects at MP.

You'll have to ask Craig if his position has changed in that regard, given the other open forums at HC.

• Moderators

I think you are comparing apples to oranges...Open Jam has historically been the cesspool forum at HC. There are some good people in there, and a lot of, shall we say, wastes of skin as well. The trick at HC is to get 'down the page' a bit. The guitar forums section and recording/live sound sections, for instance have great on topic and looser forums.

There you will find a mix as well, some pros, semipros, students, amateurs, raw beginners...and for the most part, except maybe the amp forum, we are in there to help out with questions, opinions, polls, etc.

You should not judge HC by OJ...:cool:

• Members

I remember your early posts at OJ.

If you just think of OJ as a place to joke and read about people constantly knocking Christianity as well as talking about poo, ghey subjects, some posting pics that get them banned, and having constantly standstill political debating, just avoid those threads if you like and sometimes you'll find a few here and there that are more music-related. Hippiedj (I think that's his accurate moniker) is from Tulsa like me and hosts the Sunday night Smokehouse Blues online as well as on the local radio station, playing some excellent music such as SRV, Joe Bonamassa, Hendrix, and a ton of blues musicans I'm not as familiar with at this point.

I get bored sometimes of just music-related posts and don't mind posting at OJ and then get bored there and go back to the amp and guitar forums as well as possibly the fx forum and now the political forum, etc... :)

• Members

Wah, wah, whine, whine, bitch, bitch.

Yeah you're just SO important.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Angry Grimace

Wow, I'm so proud of you and your elitist forum
It's too bad OJ is an off topic forum and this isn't, therefore rendering your comparison completely meaningless.

:cool:

• Members

Most of us who hang on OJ are there for fun and to blow off steam. Any regular who really wants a legit answer to a musical question will go to one of the other forums...where they are sometimes ignored for not being part of that clique!:rolleyes:

BUT...

...OJ has produced 2 CD's ( 3 if you count the double CD format ) of original music from it's members and sold them. They've given instruments to needy kids. And, most recently, they helped raise over $1,000 for suicide prevention in the name of my little sister.

So, we may not be professionals, we may be "the cesspool" of HC (:rolleyes: ), but we're just fine as we are, thank you very much.

Long live OJ! Long live poo related topics!:D

If you can't find something to laugh about in OJ, you are dead inside.

• Members

Being a music oriented forum I'm sure there are many outstanding players at the SSS, and I look forward to meeting some of them here.

But you should be aware that there are some very good players at OJ as well.

MrKnobs, THB and Zendog, Blue Strat, Paragraph51, Wes Powell, the list goes on...

Take a listen to some of the clips posted in their sigs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

And I have to say that comparing OJ to SSS is apples and oranges to say the least. OJ was never intended to be a serious forum. It's where the people that prefer the relatively unmoderated mayhem and chaos hang out. Not people looking for deep conversation, although that does slip up and actually happen at Open Jam from time to time. :D

• Members

Originally posted by FINNS

BUT...

...OJ has produced 2 CD's ( 3 if you count the double CD format ) of original music from it's members and sold them. They've given instruments to needy kids. And, most recently, they helped raise over $1,000 for suicide prevention in the name of my little sister.

In the name of your little sister? :( I'm very, very sorry to hear about that, though that's cool about the fundraising.

So, we may not be professionals, we may be "the cesspool" of HC (
), but we're just fine as we are, thank you very much.

I've been contaminated by that cesspool quite a lot; life's not the same anymore~! :mad::confused::o

• Members

And I have to say that comparing OJ to SSS is apples and oranges to say the least.

Exactly. There's room for both, which is why SSS didn't replace OJ. And each has its own purpose, which of course is always dynamic and will change over time...just as SSS has.

SSS is not elitist by any stretch of the imagination. The pros don't come to lord over the "little people," but to let down their hair, have a good time, and learn from the newbies. Yes, the pros learn a lot from the amateurs...they'll be the first to admit it.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Exactly. There's room for both, which is why SSS didn't replace OJ. And each has its own purpose, which of course is always dynamic and will change over time...just as SSS has.

SSS is not elitist by any stretch of the imagination. The pros don't come to lord over the "little people," but to let down their hair, have a good time, and learn from the newbies. Yes, the pros learn a lot from the amateurs...they'll be the first to admit it.

I'm confused.

The pros on SSS or the ones on OJ?

Archived