YOUSENDIT.com file transfer storage or other

• Members

Are there others besides YouSendIt.com? I sent a file but there was no meter showing how much of the file had transferred. I finally gave up. Is that part (lack) of its interface? Any other sites you can send a music file and it's not public, like SoundClick, etc.?

• Members

Yo, Live...

I find that, with YouSendIt, it's best just to set it running and go to bed, or to get a pizza. Maybe a Bogart film...

It's a slow, pain-in-the-ass upload, but the download is pretty speedy.

You can also try http://www.rapidshare.de/

I've heard some good things about this one, but haven't tried an upload to it as of yet.

...my $.02

t from j

• Members

I use yousendit all the time for big files (the biggest was about 140 MB).

In my experience it generally can take and dish out more or less what you can give it. (I have to admit that I mostly use it at night.)

Many folks have wildly asymetric up and down load times. My own is 3 mbps down and 256 kbps up -- if you're used to seeing things fly down off the web (and I was DLing a file last night that averaged about 400 KB per second (3200 kbps), seeing your upload relatively crawl can produce some cognitive dissonance until you do the math. My upstream is 12 times slower than my downstream. And that's a similar situation for a lot of (A)DSL and cable modem folks.

The only problem I've had with yousendit was sending a 36 MB file from a client's G5. Against my client's admonitions, I used a separate browser window to check something and the upload-in-progress' screen stayed up more or less permanently, even though the upload (proved to have) failed. We did it again and this time we left it alone and everything was fine. (I'm sure the first was an anomaly, but since it's not my computer and I'm not a Mac guy, I didn't press the issue.)

I haven't had any similar problems on my machines or on other clients' machines.

Yousendit.com rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

Archived