CME UF8 Keyboard

• Members

To the most esteemed Mr Anderton -

I hear you gave a really good review of the CME UF8 controller keyboard recently, though I have not had the opportuniy to read it yet. I need a new controller and am considering this as a possiblility, but have one question.

I used to use a Peavey CP8 controller. It had a ton of flexibilty, but most importantly it had a GREAT feel. I loved this board, but sadly, I was borrowing it for a spell and had to return it.

I was wondering... do you have experience with the Peavey controllers from that era (mid 90's) and how might you say the CME model compares....

BTW - I love the feel of the Motif, hate the Tritons, and am not so happy with the Roland stuff either. The studiologic and Kurzweil keybeds i am so-so about

I appreciate any feedback you can spare

• Members

I was wondering... do you have experience with the Peavey controllers from that era (mid 90's) and how might you say the CME model compares....

Funny you should mention that. I thought the C8 was a GREAT controller but it was just too damn big and heavy for me! I was very much into the Peavey gear of that time; I still love my DPM3 (laugh if you must).

Anyway, the UF8 to me has a really excellent feel. It is actually quite a bit like the C8, maybe that's one reason why I like it. It feels a little less "substantial" and "weighted" but not enough that I would consider it a problem, or a reason to keep my from buying it...I held off on having it shipped until I moved, though :)

One point I should mention is that it doesn't store a bunch of presets of splits/layers etc. I didn't find this a problem as I do that sort of thing at the destination, but some people reading the review were disappointed I didn't make a bigger deal about this limitation. So now you know!

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

One point I should mention is that it doesn't store a bunch of presets of splits/layers etc. I didn't find this a problem as I do that sort of thing at the destination, but some people reading the review were disappointed I didn't make a bigger deal about this limitation. So now you know!

Very cool - thank you very much...

I just read the keyboard review, and have a couple of clarifying questions then... (i ask because I think I really want this, I just need to make sure)

Preface - background - I am a church musician and I use multiple sounds at once, and need mainly easy volume and mod changes for each channel... Setup is like this (espcially with the great Peavey C8p

Channel 1 - piano, with volume assigned to a slider

channel 2 - rhodes

channel 3 - strings/ synth pad type sound

channel 4 - depneds, probably organ with leslie assigned to mod wheel or knob

i use the top three simultaneously, and assigend to differnt MIDI channels - as the mood of the service changes, I will crossfade sounds as I am playing and as the song progresses.

1) you stated only one split/ layer. Does this mean only one preset or saved "patch" (see quote above) or that it will only do one split point or one layer (like piano and strings only, not piano, rhodes, strings, organ, and bass at once)... in other words, can I control multiple modules with the ENTIRE RANGE OF THE KEYBOARD, all on DIFFERENT MIDI channels? I know it wouldn't make sense for a MIDI controller to not do that, but I'm just clarifying.

2) Why does the firewire interface have audio outputs in it, specifically a headphone output, among others???

3) Will the silver version be avail in the US?

I know you are not a CME rep, but you are Craig Anderton... :)

• Members

==> 1) you stated only one split/ layer. Does this mean only one preset or saved "patch" (see quote above) or that it will only do one split point or one layer (like piano and strings only, not piano, rhodes, strings, organ, and bass at once ==

Both. In split mode, you get to split the keyboard into two parts, period. Dual does two layers, and you can memorize only one of these. These days most programs take the burden of doing the MIDI routing, and not having to build in lots of intelligence can reduce the price.

==> 2) Why does the firewire interface have audio outputs in it, specifically a headphone output, among others???

The firewire interface wasn't out when I reviewed it. I assume this is for computer interface purposes.

==> 3) Will the silver version be avail in the US?

I don't know, you'll need to check with CME.

Archived