Blues Traveler concert review:

Jas

• Members

I'm posting this here because nobody paid much mind to it in Open Jam; maybe you guys will be more interested.

The concer took place 7/23/05 on the New Haven Green.

--------------------------------------------------

I mean.

Just.

:eek:

Around Twenty thousand people attended. :eek:

Twenty. Thousand. :eek:

The population of the TOWN I live in is about 9,000. :eek:

There was a big tight standing crowd up at the stage, and behind that people were sat out on chairs/blankets eating food and drinkin' booze. It was like a Mini-Woodstock. :cool:

Naturally I bulled my way up front with my buddy. :cool:

Onto the actual show:

A) They played a set which was close to two and a half hours. They stopped playing to take a break from playing maybe... four or five times. They just strung thier songs together. It was grade "A" old-school performance endurance

B) Bassist - Five strings on every song. Grooved like a mofo, slapped like one too. _AWESOME_ use of a Dynamic Wah.

C) The guitar player. Raw tone. Raw energy. Sick rhythm during his soli.

D) Drummer - Tight, loud, great grooves, not too much flash.

E) Keys - Not a standout due to the musical style, but very tasteful, great chops.

F) Vocalist - He must have lungs the size of Texas! He is a monster on the harmonica. Absolute MONSTER. He can belt it out too.

Towards the end of the set they did an extended version of "Carolina Blues" which is without question my favorite song. The intro consisted of the guitar player going Hendrix @ Woodstock '69 for what had to be close to five minutes, then the band, for lack of a better word, slamed into the main groove. At this point the standing crowd became even more energetic, erupted, and were all jumping, dancing, singing, a bunch of people were crowd surfing and everyone was having a great time. :cool:

Then I realized something:

They were almost all youngish people.

At a concert being performed by ugly older people... playing... music with substance... THERE IS HOPE! :cool:

Take that pop music. :mad:

Anywho, that show went to eleven. If you ever get a chance to see Blues Traveler... see them. :cool:

• Members

Cool!

Always nice to hear about good live music experiences. Sounds like a fun time and some great musicians... can't beat that. Good to hear about the "young crowd turning out for the ugly old guys" too. :) Every once in awhile somebody manages to pull that off.

Thanks for sharing! I've never seen Blues Traveler myself but other folks I know have told me they put on a great show.

• Members

I'm shocked by your post :eek:

:o you could have used more variety in your smileys........

infact you didn't even use a happy smiley smiley at all :rolleyes:

- didn't you have a happy time? :confused:

I shall now go back and check what you've written. :p

:DSX

• Members

Originally posted by A String

I saw them at Woodstock 94'. They put on an amazing show then. I'm glad that Popper's health hasn't stopped him from being the phenomenal talent that he is.

He's still not skinny, but that didn't stop him. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

I heard a Blues Traveller cd and while I agree the guy has a great harp technique I remember thinking,ok,I get the picture,you`re great,just dont keep beating me over the head with it-the guy never stops!

Yea, I thougth so too -- but when I saw him live, I never wanted him to stop. :D

Archived