what's the name of that Indian drone instrument??

• Members

Sitar? Those usually have more strings than three, but I found this on the Web, which says "In the beginning, it had only three strings, so it was named, "Sehtar", (which also means "three stringed" in Persian)" :

http://www.roopverma.com/sitar.shtml

I think there are other "Veena" instruments, some may still only have 3 strings?

Here's another cool link:

http://www.indianmelody.com/musicinstruments.htm

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Cool...yeah, tamboura...now I'm gonna have to dig my Nehru jacket out of mothballs, go home, drop some acid and listen to some Beatles and Ravi Shankar...

:D

I read in the linear note to some of Ravi Shankar's CDs that during the 60's a lot of people believed that everyone in India does drugs.

So before every concert, Ravi Shankar would tell the audience that it

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Donovan

I read in the linear note to some of Ravi Shankar's CDs that during the 60's a lot of people believed that everyone in India does drugs.

So before every concert, Ravi Shankar would tell the audience that it

• Members

Is Nora Ravis daughter?

I didnt know that.

The best kind of Indian music you can listen to for true India chord progressions I found anyway is the ones played in Temples.

I went to Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in London a while back and I was totally blown away by the sheer clarity of what I was hearing that I bought some CDs.

I love traditional Indian Folk music which is more Hindu in its origin than the Bangra music you hear from Bollywood.

Heres a picture of the place, its absolutly stunning!

mandir01f.jpg

• Members

FMUK Wrote:
Nora Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter? I did not know that.

She sure is. He has another daughter named Anoushka Shankar. She is a well known and respected sitarist as well. Both of Ravi's girls are talented and hot. :cool:

nora_anoushka.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by FMUK

I knew he had a daughter who followed in his footsteps but I didnt know about Nora as the name 'Jones' isnt really a tell-tale sign is it?

Thanks Jotown
:)

No prob. Her mothers name is Jones and since he was not very involved in her life she took her moms name instead of his.

• Members

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlue

No, I missed it
:(

I would have gone if I had known about it...

Unfortunately, I missed that show too...I had already bought tickets to see Anoushka in Jacksonville (playing alone without her Dad). When I heard about the Gainesville show, it was too late. But Anoushka's show was superb!

Barry

• Members

A few weeks ago, BLAblabla?

Did she have to reschedule her Florida trip? Her website listed those gigs in April. :confused:

I was checking to see if she'd be in or near Nashville, but alas, no. :(

For those interested in her playing who won't soon have the chance to see her live, check out the Concert for George (as in, Harrison) DVD. The first half of the concert she leads an orchestra of Indian musicians. The woman is already a master of her instrument. Then again, with a father like Ravi... ;)

And yes, they are both beautiful women.

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

A few weeks ago,
BLAblabla
?

Did she have to reschedule her Florida trip? Her website listed those gigs in April.
:confused:

I was checking to see if she'd be in or near Nashville, but alas, no.
:(

For those interested in her playing who won't soon have the chance to see her live, check out the Concert for George (as in, Harrison) DVD. The first half of the concert she leads an orchestra of Indian musicians. The woman is already a master of her instrument. Then again, with a father like Ravi...
;)

And yes, they are both beautiful women.

Yes it was in April...on a Tuesday night on the 19th to be specific. She played on Sunday the 17th in Gainesville with her Dad. But it does seem like just a few weeks ago. I can't wait to see her again...& hear her too! :cool:

Barry

• Members

I have a friend who's a cellist and guitarist who has recently taken up sitar

He and his instructor have mentioned that the guitar skills aren't really that applicable, the cello skills being moreso as you have to really ride the meend

but that's about as much as I know and that's second hand

Archived