Career coaches?

• Members

I am at a point in my professional life where I want to make a change. I have worked the same job for 10 years now being a customer service / computer manager. I am really burnt out on the same routine. I want to do things that I like, Musical / Audio things.

I play in an original band and this is really my passion. I am the band administrator, financer. I have not seen any real payback for what I

• Members

My problem is I seem to have deficiencies in whatever makes a good self-employed administrator. I procrastinate when it comes to paperwork billing etc.

These are dangerous attributes for the self employed. When you're late with your billing, clients will be even later paying up. waiting 30,60 or 90 days for accounts to pay is crippling for a small business. Also, if you hate paperwork, you're probably not keen on sales and marketing. Without new business and growth you become dependent on your clients and when you lose them it's even more crippling.

Take it from my experience. It's been five years now doing my own thing as a graphic designer. I made more in the first two years than I ever had working for any employer. But I lacked that attention to detail, the marketing, recruiting new accounts and basic business sense just focusing on the work. When my major client changed their business plan, my ass was left drifting in the wind. About 75% of my business dried up. In the meantime I had been focusing more time and resources on my music rather updating my training and software and moving into electronic publishing, web design, etc.

My wife has been supported thru all this too, watching me buy more gear over the years as my income slowly dropped.

I'm in quite a similar situation. I would be all for a career coach. Some of us need the focus and boot in the ass. I think artists of any type sometimes focus on the micro while the macro is bulldozing it's way down the hill above us.

I have to change something.

So, I'm gonna teach part-time and go back to school and update my training. I'm gonna buy one more amp (sigh), and then upgrade my graphics studio. I hope by working, going to school and making music part time, I can be doing everything I want to do, without sacrificing anything.

Wifey know theres not much money in teaching for $11.00 hr when I used to make 4 times as much, but she's convinced it's some type of calling. Regardless, it will get me out of the house, back in the classroom and away from my instruments! It's way too easy to push away from the computer and roll over to my piano. It's way more fun, but at this point it doesn't generate revenue yet.

I think I'm the kind of person that needs to have a lot thrown at me, because I get bored easily, then distracted and yes, sometimes even depressed. People say you can talk yourself out of depression. My experience makes me believe some people have to act themselves out of it. Everybody is built differently.

Good luck with all that.

Sincerely

btw, sorry for the rambling, hope some of it was on point.

Archived