Oh no, the IKEA store finally opened here...

• Members

They sent me a catalog to announce the grand opening (finally! been talking about it for 2 years) of the Atlanta store, and I can already tell I'm gonna spend way too much money there. :D I've been to their stores before in other states, but not lately. Now they've got even more dangerously tempting stuff! Looks like some of the desks and things they have now could make good studio workstations too.

• Members

Lee, IKEA can indeed be tempting. It's relatively nice contemporary design, it's relative inexpensive, and they create a nice shopping environment.

But keep in mind: most of their cheap crap is exactly that... cheap crap. Most of my IKEA stuff is fine, until I try and move it after it's been set up, at which point the particle board cracks, the metal bends, and other bad things happen.

If you need furnishings that'll look pretty good and last for 2-3 years, IKEA rawks. But as the old saying goes, be prepared to get what you pay for.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

But keep in mind: most of their cheap crap is exactly that... cheap crap. Most of my IKEA stuff is fine, until I try and move it after it's been set up, at which point the particle board cracks, the metal bends, and other bad things happen.

Yeah, from what I can tell it's pretty hit or miss, and some things are more solidly built than others.

I doubt I'm going to end up buying much furniture there though anyway (although they have a cool bookcase that I could really use and will probably get). It'll probably be more like accessories, storage boxes/baskets and that sort of thing.

• Members

I grew up with Ikea furniture. It's generally pretty functional and looks good in a minimalist kind of way. My advice: Keep those allen wrenches handy! Back in the 80s Ikea's mascot was an anthropomorphised allen wrench and probably for good reason.

The various bolts that hold everything together invariably work themselves loose and have to be retightened regularly. Especially in chairs and tables that get a lot of use. I had a dining room chair collapse under me because a bolt loosened and pulled out of the insert.

Everyone here probably already knows that MDF makes {censored}ty shelving.

• Members

I think the key to Ikea is:

First, you have to figure out what is just too crappy to buy. Sometimes you have to ask them. "This is nice, but is it just too damn crappy to buy?" Usually gets an honest response.

The second thing is to figure out how to buy stuff from Ikea, but not make it look like you did. You have to kind of sneak it in, here and there.

-PL&B

• Members

You'll love it Lee.

I live in there as we moved earlier this year and they have exactly what I need for the house and as long as you buy stuff thats from the middle range upwards, you should be ok...stay away from the cheaper varients as they last a week and thats it!

As long as the store opening goes smoothly and doesn't end up like the one we had with our local store, you'll enjoy the experience.

• Members

Lee,

Half of my furnture is IKEA. It has worked fine. To avoid the problems of damage in moving, use Gorilla Glue on drawers and certain components that tend to weaken with time. We sold our stuff up north and bought furniture in the Virginia Ikea south of DC. It was much easier to move to North Carolina and set up the stuff then deal with the expense of moving our old stuff.

• Members

Ikea has some neat stuff.

One recommendation Lee - if you buy any of the furniture (bookshelves, dressers, etc), make sure to buy an allen wrench sized drill bit for your power drill, it will turn a 30 minute assembely into a 5 minute assembly.

Have fun and try the swedish beverages, light mild sodas which are very delicious.

• Members

I have had IKEA stuff for years (purchased at IKEA STuttgart) and it has functioned beautifully.

Some of this stuff has "Crossed the pond" three times..

I mean things like office desk, bookcases, mountable book shelves, CD racks, etc.

Never had a problem with them and they look great.

• Members

Originally posted by Keyrick

I like the Meatbals. Very tasty!

Rick

you and me both!

I just bought all my kitchen stuff from Ikea and I am just of there today to buy a few bits I need for storage for my room :)

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

I think the key to Ikea is:

First, you have to figure out what is just too crappy to buy. Sometimes you have to ask them. "This is nice, but is it just too damn crappy to buy?" Usually gets an honest response.

The second thing is to figure out how to buy stuff from Ikea, but not make it look like you did. You have to kind of sneak it in, here and there.

-PL&B

Yeah Ikea can be like The Gap, If you buy an entire outfit everyone knows where you got it from and that you have a hard time dressing yourself. Pick and choose a few pieces, try not to go too crazy. and some of the stuff in the catalogue looks like crap in person.

Try the meatballs, they rock. And buy a bag of their toffee candy.

• Members

Lee

WATCH OUT for Ikea's pressed-wood furniture. It is GARBAGE. (As all pressed-wood, composite wood-chip furniture is.)

Not only are many of the pieces so poorly made that they don't go together right, spill a cup of coffee on many of these pieces and they just start falling apart. Panels sag and warp; screws fall out.

NEVER EVER buy a pressed wood bookshelf. Unless you're not going to put anything heavier than a framed picture on it, anyhow.

IF you can find pieces that are solid wood (and my old tenant bought 3 pieces she swore were solid wood in the store but that turned out to be pressedboard -- that disintegrated within a couple years) they're probably going to be okay.

Also, be very careful about anything you buy from Ikea with an electric cord...

Archived