seeking download site for old songs

Hard Truth

• Members

You might try MusicMatch's online store [ http://www.musicmatch.com/download/music_intro.htm ].

I haven't ever bought anything through it, but it shares much of the same catalog as MusicMatch On Demand which I subscribe to.

The tracks are the typical 99 cents but they're 160 kbps WMAs, considerbly higher fi than other online stores. (At least I think they're all still 160 kbps... that info is no longer easily accessible, to my cursory sussing. Of course, the diff between 160 and 128 may not be readily apparent on a recording made 70 or 80 years ago. If you've got MusicMatch Jukebox 10 I think you can browse their stacks directly and listen to the first 30 seconds of tracks.)

They don't have everything, but (at least on the On Demand side) they have a lot of classic early century jazz and pop. I've been delighted by the extensive selection of Armstrong, Ellington, Holliday and others.

PS... they list 232 Andrews Sisters tracks for sale (and on MMOD). Keep in mind there are frequently many dupes, as greatest hits and various re-releases double and triple up. That can be problematic when you're trying to pick through someone like Frank Sinatra who tended to record different versions of songs at different points in his career. Often it's hard to tell one track from another without a discography. Happily, the All Music Guide content is tied into the MMOD interface. Not sure about the Online Store.

They list 825 tracks on sale for Crosby (and 726 available for streaming through MMOD). Again, probably many duplicate tracks.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
Ignoring, for a moment, that this thread is 10 years old (making those old songs even OLDER, btw....)-----

isnt it technically illegal to download songs from YouTube?

I think I reported that as spam. Anyway, most old stuff is more than likely public domain and is uploaded by private parties to "hobby" channels and seems to be just fine with Google. Free content is free. I suppose if you engaged in resale you might get some unfavorable attention but Google itself maintains download links in addition to its front page streaming and media grabbers are a nickel a dozen so what's the message there?

• Members
You can find most of the old songs on http://bajao.biscoot.com/. One of the best music portal contain lot of categories

This would be considered spam, but in this case, I am going to let it stand. Going forward, please put your endeavor information in your signature and only post contributions that are not spammish and meaningful.

Thanks

D

Archived