OT: Pamela Anderson cares about chickens

Super 8

• Members

Cool.

This is the first PETA-induced video I've seen that is actually informative and rational, and not scathing, insulting, or extreme.

*THIS* is how they need to do it if they want to accomplish anything. You don't convince people by attacking them.

• Members

Kudos to Pam!!! This reminds me of a video that I watched some time back about Tyson Foods IIRC. It also reminds me of that video that Shars put up about the Fur industry that brutally kills animals to make fur coats.

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

Wow... That's terrible.

Makes me want to consider being a vegetarian, but frankly, it would be a tough change.

Is not that hard, believe me I have been a vegetarian for 23 years due to all kinds of infections[apparantly cause by meat:Throat infections, ear, stomach etc. headaches]

No more infections or headaches after 3 months of starting the vegetarian life style ;):cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ViLo

Is not that hard, believe me I have been a vegetarian for 23 years due to all kinds of infections[apparantly cause by meat:Throat infections, ear, stomach etc. headaches]

No more infections or headaches after 3 months of starting the vegetarian life style
;):cool:

Wow, really? And your doctors attibute this simply to giving up meat, ViLo?!? That's truly amazing.

Are you Vegan? Ovo-lacto or some other "prefix"-vegetarian?

• Members

In related news, I seem to recall something on NPR a couple of years ago where some groups petitioned McD's about the living conditions of their chickens, and McD's went to the farms and basically said; "fix this, or we won't by buying from you anymore".

So guess sometimes you really can make a difference. :)

Makes me want to consider being a vegetarian, but frankly, it would be a tough change.

I agree.

I ate nothing but salads for 3 weeks. By the end, I would have walked over my own mother to get a hamburger.

I think it is a tough change, as you said.

• Members

I ate nothing but salads for 3 weeks. By the end, I would have walked over my own mother to get a hamburger.

I dig salads but I dunno if i could subsist on them totally. I'd have to have some kidney beans and rice or some fried potatoes or something :D

My gf has been a vegetarian for about 13 years. I can't decide if *I* could do it or not. I just like my bbq pork too much :rolleyes:

It would be a drastic change, but I don't know that it'd be as tough to do today as it probably was for Vilo 23 years ago. There's all sorts of "imitation meat" products around to wean you off. And of course there's *always* been all kinds of stuff to eat that's not meat, and is very fulfilling. Beans, rice, potatoes, bread, cheese, etc.... Vilo could probably give us a huge list of awesome foods that would surprise you.

• Members

Immitation meat is ok for making chili, but the burgers do not do anything for me. But worse yet, I'm not a burger kinda guy. I like hotdogs. Do they even make veggie hotdogs. (More importantly, I want a real hotdog, and most store bought don't cut it. Not unless you can get Vienna Beef or Hebrew National Kosher dogs, so an immitation dog probably won't cut it.

I love a good steak, chicken and other meat products. My family and friends keep trying to convince me to sell my beef jerky... Obviously I'd have to give that up. :(

I think I could at least stick to bean dishes and salads with some chicken, but I don't know if I could give it all up. I'm a big fan of Alaskan King Crab, too. :o I have it infrequently, and I could give it up, but... that would be a big sacrifice. I probably should anyway to keep kosher. (I haven't ever kept strictly kosher.)

• Members

Heh... nobody's asking you to be a vegetarian ;)

They do make vegetarian hot dogs and bratwursts. I tried the hot dogs and didn't like them- they tasted like cold hot dog to me (i'm the type that overboils hot dogs).

The bratwursts I haven't tried yet. I don't like the way they smell- They're too peppery like breakfast sausage (which i abhor), but that's subjective and YMMV. I'll try to remember to grab one off the gf's plate and snag a bite for you. ;)

Of course, I'm also the sort that would say "if you're going to stop eating something, stop eating it. Don't even pretend to eat it with imitation stuff or artificial this."

Like beer, for instance. In the immortal words of the great Yoda:

Beer or Beer not. There is no Lite.

• Members

Boca Sausages (that's her favourite, with a bunch of Wisconsin Cheddar, of course)

Kosher Stuff For Kosher Folks!

Hear me now and believe me later... We went to Bratfest this year and they had Boca Brats there. They also had JimmyDean brats, but I was hoping for some real, down-home local-yokel family-farm bratwurst instead of some "National Brand".

check out Andy Sorg's Sausages. I did some work on one of his computers (the one with all the secret recipes on it :eek:). He's got some interesting stuff there.

• Members

Thanks for the Morningstar Farms link, Phaeton. :cool: I've seen their products before, but I don't remember if I've eaten any. I'd love to have something I could cook that Lilly could eat cold. They can't have meat at school because everything has to be kosher. The school decided on dairy vs. meat. Many of their products would still qualify.

As for Sorg's.. (slurping... drooling..) I'm not a brat kind of guy, actually, but that sounds delicious. And I know, given the location and source of the information, that they must rock! ;) I keep hoping for a visit with enough time to head north as far as Delavan and break bread with you and PBB Paul. That would be a great place to eat! It's about 45 miles from drive from my inlaws home, according to Google Earth.

• Members

Thanks for the Morningstar Farms link,
Phaeton
:cool:

Most of the stuff I eat is from Morning Star Farms and Loma Linda Foods.

My wife prepares hamburegers with the Grillers [from Morning Star, there are different kind of Grillers, some of them not to tasty]but the ones I eat are this ones http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?product=331&company=23

My wife also prepares tacos and Carne Con Chile with this ones :

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?product=355&company=23

And Hot Dogs:

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?product=314&company=23

Plus I eat beans and rice, potatoes, salads, and 100.s of things you can eat with out eating meat.

• Members

Wow, really? And your doctors attibute this simply to giving up meat,
ViLo
?!? That's truly amazing.

Are you Vegan? Ovo-lacto or some other "prefix"-vegetarian?

I had surgery when I was 8 years old appendicitis [i'm not sure if that's the way is spelled ot [??] and they blocked one of my intestines somehow, so I had to have surgery again in a different city, according to the new doctors I was about ten minutes from death.

After all that, I started with all the infectrions and health problems.

I eat eggs from time to time [every 3 or 4 months] but now with the bird flu I'm not sure :D:D:D

Archived