Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing for Mastering?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    cool trick: set your master fader to + 2db and mix not letting any clips get by. Then reduce it to unity and see what it does.
    http://www.myspace.com/eastcoastbands me personal page
    http://www.myspace.com/gunk halloween tune Abra Cadaver! Check it
    http://www.eastcoastbands.com me studio

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by echoshock
      When cutting mids, is there a general rule you use to maintain volume on that track? Or do you just use your ears? (god forbid).
      When I A/B a track with or without the EQ cut, obviously the louder one sounds bigger and therefore usually better. How do I do eq changes and maintain levels?
      THANKS!
      P.S. Ustad (sorry I don't know your name) I thought it was interesting the order you chose for the things you had to do tonight. Does the girlfriend know that the cats get fed before you talk to her?

      Keith


      My name's Ken.

      If I need to boost volume on the track because it's lost too much volume from cutting, I'll boost it either at the plug-in or by simply moving the fader up. I just simply use my ear to figure out what's best. As far as the "Q" (bandwidth), I vary that, depending on what sounds good. I can't give any guidelines because - well, how would I know?

      And yeah, I think my girlfriend knows. It was a list in chronological order, not importance....or else the Laker game woulda been first! Just kidding. BTW, she's watching the game with me. Although not now. It's half-time.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

      Comment


      • #18
        Thank you all again.. I really think I just advanced two years in the past 4 hours. Can't wait to show you a new mix. I'm almost even willing to root for the lakers now..

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by echoshock
          Thank you all again.. I really think I just advanced two years in the past 4 hours. Can't wait to show you a new mix. I'm almost even willing to root for the lakers now..


          Ahhh, don't corrupt yourself, it ain't worth it (glances around to see if SteadyB is lurking...).

          There's a DVD by Charles Dye that I hear is really great - mixing techniques on a DAW.

          And it's my pleasure. I'm still learning a lot about mixing as well, and it really is a lot of fun.
          Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by UstadKhanAli


            There's a DVD by Charles Dye that I hear is really great - mixing techniques on a DAW.

            And it's my pleasure. I'm still learning a lot about mixing as well, and it really is a lot of fun.


            Yea def going to check out that Charles Dye video.. Got some sweet reviews on amazon.
            Well here is sample two.. I haven't really adjusted too many levels.. Mostly just worked on cutting mids and cleaning up the mud. My ears are too fried to tell how much better it is.. But lets see what ya think.
            sample 2 mix
            I mean it at least has to be better.
            P.S. anybody actually like the song itself? No, is an acceptable answer.

            Comment


            • #21
              The Rhythm Section and the vocal groove is very good, i like it a lot. It will be a hit.

              Maybee not en vogue. Remindes me of Missing Person with a squirt Evanescence or whatever. By the way, i don't understand a word except "feeling", what language is she singing in?

              The mix is still kinda dull, doesn't hit hard enough...

              .

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Angelo Clematide
                The Rhythm Section and the vocal groove is very good, i like it a lot. It will be a hit.

                Maybee not en vogue. Remindes me of Missing Person with a squirt Evanescence or whatever. By the way, i don't understand a word except "feeling", what language is she singing in?

                The mix is still kinda dull, doesn't hit hard enough...

                .


                Thanks Angelo. Yea she definitely needs to work on her annunciation. Unfortunately it is in English.
                As far as the mix. I feel like I've made some pretty significant eq changes but yes I agree that it is still kinda dull. When you say 'dull' do think that's more on the low end or high?
                Thanks

                Comment


                • #23
                  did you use already compressing and eq while recording the vocalist, or did you sculpture her later in the box?

                  .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The compression and EQ is being done in the box.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by echoshock


                      When you say 'dull' do think that's more on the low end or high?
                      Thanks


                      can't say precisely by the preview, havent't listen to it on the studio monitoring, just the internet computer desktop speakers...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        well, i am no engineer, just a guitarist... i notice that the second mix sounds better... as far as the song, i liked it enough to want to hear the whole thing and not just the first minute!

                        paulski
                        My Gear:

                        Herco Flex 75 picks
                        Jim Dunlop medium picks courtesy of Lord Wein
                        GHS Boomer strings
                        Dunlop strings, which I have yet to try
                        Electric guitar A
                        Electric guitar B
                        Electric guitar C
                        Electric guitar D
                        Electric guitar E
                        Bass guitar parts
                        Acoustic guitar A
                        Acoustic guitar B
                        Acoustic guitar C
                        Amplifier A
                        Amplifier B
                        Amplifier C
                        Box full of stomp boxes and wah peddles from the 80s 90s and 00s
                        Box full of cables
                        Some recording stuff
                        No talent

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by paulskirocks
                          well, i am no engineer, just a guitarist... i notice that the second mix sounds better... as far as the song, i liked it enough to want to hear the whole thing and not just the first minute!

                          paulski

                          Awesome Paul Thanks.. I told my singer I was getting help from you guys and she basically paniced and didn't want me to have it on here for copyright reasons. Weird part is, she already has it copyrighted.. Paranoid much? But I'll def get teh whole song up here. I def like this new mix better.. I played with the high end on the bass and think its stands out a lot more. Thanks to you guys of course! Back to Work.

                          Comment



                          Working...
                          X