Was your Carvin Kidnapped?

Mr. Botch

• Members

I got a Carvin catalog the other day (I'm not a guitarist, but as a woodworker its cool to look at the beautiful hardwoods they use) and noticed something new. Apparently they put a programmed microchip, just like they do for pets, into every guitar and bass they manufacture. So, if your guitar is stolen, there is a way to prove it belongs to you (provided you relocate it, AND can find a microchip reader).

I thought that was pretty cool. Start of a new trend?

• Members

I think guitar "fingerprinting" is a great idea. Like any anti-theft device, if a guy wants a guitar badly enough, he'll figure out a way to get around it. However, like LoJack on a car, it might make a thief think twice.

I'd like to see this become standard practice on all guitars... I'd pay a little more to know it's in a nice new axe I was buying.

- Jeff

• Members

I think that's the same technology used by veterinarians to tag pets. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice. Kudos to Carvin. I really like the battery-powered amp/PA I bought from them. Still made in USA, too (except the acoustics, I think).

• Members

Originally posted by granttheking98

that would have been handy, i lost my 100w DFX marshall head the other day, in fact you could almost replace the word lost with stolen from a gig....

Don't be so quick to judge.

I can't tell you how many times I've opened up my gear after a spot on a multi-band gig and found a 100 w DFX Marshall in there. Happens all the time...

:D

Sorry to hear about the gear loss, man, seriously.

Archived