No announcement yet.

Was your Carvin Kidnapped?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was your Carvin Kidnapped?

I got a Carvin catalog the other day (I'm not a guitarist, but as a woodworker its cool to look at the beautiful hardwoods they use) and noticed something new. Apparently they put a programmed microchip, just like they do for pets, into every guitar and bass they manufacture. So, if your guitar is stolen, there is a way to prove it belongs to you (provided you relocate it, AND can find a microchip reader).

I thought that was pretty cool. Start of a new trend?
    Botch
    Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
    Isn't that long a stay.
    Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Can you put those things in your wife too?
    Don't Eat The Yellow Snow. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.

Comment

I think guitar "fingerprinting" is a great idea. Like any anti-theft device, if a guy wants a guitar badly enough, he'll figure out a way to get around it. However, like LoJack on a car, it might make a thief think twice.

I'd like to see this become standard practice on all guitars... I'd pay a little more to know it's in a nice new axe I was buying.

- Jeff
      Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

that would have been handy, i lost my 100w DFX marshall head the other day, in fact you could almost replace the word lost with stolen from a gig....
        www.epitomeband.com

Comment

A few years back I had a Marshall cabinet stolen from my garage while I was loading up to go to a gig. I'd like to track that down and find the guy who did that. Really I would.

- Jeff
          Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

theft ! i hate that ! i work had to pay for my instruments just to have some useless bugger steal them ! Wheres the fairness in that !!!
            www.epitomeband.com

Comment

I think that's the same technology used by veterinarians to tag pets. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice. Kudos to Carvin. I really like the battery-powered amp/PA I bought from them. Still made in USA, too (except the acoustics, I think).

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

...Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by granttheking98
                that would have been handy, i lost my 100w DFX marshall head the other day, in fact you could almost replace the word lost with stolen from a gig....

Don't be so quick to judge.

I can't tell you how many times I've opened up my gear after a spot on a multi-band gig and found a 100 w DFX Marshall in there. Happens all the time...

Sorry to hear about the gear loss, man, seriously.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Originally posted by boosh
                  Can you put those things in your wife too?

Yes, it's called a "credit card".
                  BOYCOTT MONSTER CABLE

Comment

Working...
                  X